Chapter 3.4

A/N: no specific content warnings, but Gabe is still trying to work himself out over this pain thing, and Henry continues to be Henry, so, um, soz

And pronouns/names were a bit of a nightmare here, so let me know if anything is too blergh on that front.

Henry turned back to Gabriel after the door had slammed shut, taking in the cut on his cheek and the wild, scared look in his eyes.

"What happened?"

Gabriel looked away, down at his empty plate.

"I'm fine."

"That isn't what I asked. Why was he with you?"

"He wasn't. He must have been walking home himself, or something. He saved me."

Gabriel looked uncertain – perhaps over whether Sawyer had indeed saved him. It made Henry shudder.

"Darling, tell me the truth."

"I was mugged. They got my messenger bag, and they tried to take my cello."

"Oh my god! Did they?"

"No...Mr. Montgomery stopped them, like I said."

Gabriel was even more pink. Henry hated it when he tried to hide things.

"Did he do anything inappropriate?"

Gabriel's jaw fell open, and he blushed even harder.

"No! No, he didn't do anything. Scared them away, and walked me home."

Henry reached for him, feeling a little guilty that his mind went there so easily. It was unfair, he knew. His boy was nothing if not loyal.

Gabriel winced, pulling away from the soft touch, making worry rise again in Henry's chest.

"Let me see."

Henry pushed the arm of the overlarge t-shirt up, and he could see vicious purple bruises across Gabriel's upper arms.

"Gabriel! You didn't say they'd beaten you."

His boy broke into sobs, hanging his head.

"I'm sorry..."

"Darling, you have nothing to apologize for. Come into the bedroom – I'll find the arnica cream, and some antiseptic for that cut."

In the bedroom, Henry lifted the cello reverentially off the bed – he opened the battered case when it was safely tucked into the corner of the room, but thankfully the instrument didn't seem to be damaged.

He turned back to Gabriel, who was standing uncertainly in the doorway, shifting from one foot to the other. "Take your clothes off, darling, let me see where you need the cream."

Henry watched with increasing horror as Gabriel pulled the t-shirt over his head, revealing huge blooms of bruising across his chest and stomach. He slipped the trackpants over his narrow hips, and his thighs were no better, his lovely, smooth skin marred with awful welts.

"What did they do to you?"

"I'm sorry, Henry..."

"No," he gulped, "you have nothing to be sorry for. Poor baby."

Gabriel lay back on the bed, and Henry tenderly tucked a pillow under his head before using some cotton wool to apply antiseptic cream to the cut on Gabriel's cheek, making him hiss at the cold sting.

"I'm sorry, I'll try not to hurt you."

"I'm okay." Gabriel's voice was deeper than usual, husky and rough. He was obviously incredibly stressed by what had happened, and it was Henry's duty to make him calm again.