Arc 2 Chapter 8.1

Laurent knew he shouldn't stare. But he was standing there – Gabe – looking part lost and part petulant; out of place and not happy about it.

He knew there was a lot to Gabe's story. More than had been revealed to him by Frankie and Gray, and certainly more than the boy had been willing to say himself. Laurent would be the last person to call himself stupid and, as such, he knew this was one of those occasions for patience.

That was why, when Loki took a shaken Kaiya home after the conflict, and Frankie took John away, hopefully to fire his ass or whatever was the done thing in this club, Laurent reluctantly went back to the VIP area alone.

And that's where he was, trying not to stare too obviously at Gabe as Owen and Gray approached to speak to him, Owen seeming to soothe Gabe with soft touches that sent a bolt of jealousy through Laurent. Jealousy and something even more primal than that. It had been too long, really – his needs weren't being met. Well, some had been – though he suspected that particular ship was in the process of sailing next door – but not the most important ones. He looked at his knees, needing to hide the sudden amusement that rocked through him at the mere thought of ever being able or allowed to hurt Loki in bed.

Gabe was a contradiction, Loki knew that much. His snark and fire were equal to Ellis', though not expressed as rudely, but then he often flinched in on himself and gazed unseeingly into the middle distance, like he was seeing an uncomfortable movie play in his head. Laurent liked the former side, and had had several pleasurable sessions thinking of play that involved dropping him willingly out of that confronting mindset using pain, but the latter side would make that impossible, he knew, outside of fantasy. At least, at the moment.

He glanced around the room, which had begun to rapidly fill. It was a nice distraction, which was why he jumped minutely when he realized Gray was looming – having crossed the lounge without Laurent even being aware; not only that, but also flanked by Owen and Gabe.

"Would you mind if we joined you?" Gray asked in his deep, chocolatey voice.

"Of course not," was the obvious response, and if he almost coughed from trying to make his voice deeper, then no-one else had to know, and he'd ignore the smirk on Gray's face.

When they sat, Laurent couldn't help but be aware that Gabe was fronting. He smiled warmly every time Owen and Gray looked at him, and grinned happily when Ellis and the one with ethereally light eyes came over to chat, like he was having the best time. But whenever he thought nobody had their eyes on him, he shrank back into his seat, his shoulders rolling inward.

Distracted by what he hoped was a subtle focus on Gabe, it took him a moment to realize Gray and Owen were having a whispered argument.

"I don't think it's a good idea, Bunny."

"I think you're scared, Sir. You have to trust he knows what to do – it was the point in you saying he should come here. Let him start making decisions for himself."

Gabe was pretending he couldn't hear, too, but looked up when Gray leaned towards him, across Owen.

"Gabe, there's a show next door, would you like to watch it?"

It was apparent from his tone that he didn't think it was a good idea, and Laurent watched Owen roll his eyes hard, and Gray raise his eyebrows in a clear judgement that had Owen biting his lip. Laurent would love the chance to be a fly on that wall when the punishment was handed out.

"What kind of show?"

"Chase is doing some wax play. We thought you might like it."

Gabe thought for a moment, glancing towards the door where the show was, his face a conflict of eager and concerned.