Chapter 8.2

A/N: okay, it's ratcheting up as Sawyer finally stops his 'taking it slow' method and begins to do what he's wanted to do all along.

To follow, here and in the next few chapters, are going to be *many* incidences of very poor BDSM practices. No discussion, no negotiation, no explanation. Please don't, for a moment, feel any need to justify Sawyer's behaviour. I say that, because you might have seen such overbearing practices presented as fine (usually with a little more warmth, of course). Further content warnings are specified at the bottom, with the usual spoilers.

Enjoy, and take care of yourself.

Gabriel could feel himself settling into life with Sawyer almost seamlessly, even if Sawyer couldn't exactly be called warm – although Gabriel could feel the effort he was making. He appreciated it, because it was more than Henry had really done. Maybe that was Gabriel's type: cold, Type 'A' personalities. He didn't know how he felt about that and he certainly wasn't going to mention the comparison to Sawyer.

Perhaps that was why the effort was so apparent, besides being a clear difference to Henry. There was always something that didn't fit. As if Sawyer's brain had determined it was a situation that called for an appearance of caring but the rest of him didn't quite know how to show it. Strangely, it wasn't that obvious difficulty that bothered Gabriel. It was more the uncertainty over Sawyer's feelings for him. He wanted Gabriel, that much was clear. But Gabriel wasn't sure his heart could take merely being a plaything. Not after what had happened with Henry.

During each week that passed, he continued to practice his music. After he'd sent back his rejection for the position in London, with a huge sense of relief, Sawyer had said he'd look into arranging some more auditions when they came up. He hadn't said anything in the weeks since then, but Gabriel didn't want to put pressure on him by asking, not when he was already doing so much.

Other than his music, Gabriel mainly pottered around the apartment just as he had with the old one – the memory of which was becoming more blurred by the day as he settled into something almost homely with Sawyer.

It wasn't entirely there yet. Even though Sawyer hadn't done anything to abuse his trust, he was having a hard time letting go of what Henry had done. He could see it bothered Sawyer, who hid his upset behind a stoic glare that Gabriel caught every time he accidentally did something that showed a lack of trust.

So, it was only fair that Sawyer kept parts of himself back too; Gabriel could barely expect any different, even if it made him uncomfortable.

* * * * *

Gabriel had left his sweater in the living area, and he almost leapt out of his skin coming out of his bedroom in only a towel, to see Sawyer standing, holding the garment with a smirk.

"Is this what you do, darling, when I'm not here? Parade around the penthouse naked?"

"I- I'm not. I'm sorry, I'll go- I didn't know you'd be home-,"

He turned to scurry back to his room, but Sawyer's sharp "Wait!" made him shudder to a stop.

He felt Sawyer get closer, the ghost of his breath on the back of Gabriel's neck, making the fine hairs stand.

"There's no need to rush off. I think you like showing off to me."

Gabriel could feel the tremble running through his body. It wasn't that Sawyer's words were true – but he knew they could be. It would be down to Sawyer. Although he had made his attraction clear before Gabriel had moved in, he also hadn't made any further move.