Chapter 17 - Finding a Partner

In Transfiguration class the next day, McGonagall asked us to transfigure guinea fowls into guinea pigs. Hermione and I, along with Harry and Ron, had finished the task, so we were discussing the house-elves after we had copied down our homework.

"I really think that, with time, the other elves will see how happy Dobby is because he's free and it'll dawn on them that they want it too!" Hermione said.

"Let's hope they don't look too closely at Winky," Harry said as he and Ron started a sword fight with a couple of Fred and George's fake wands.

"Hopefully she'll cheer up!" I said.

"She will," Hermione said, though she sounded a bit doubftul. "Once the shock's worn off, and she's got used to Hogwarts, she'll see how much better off she is without that Crouch man."

"She seems to love him," Ron said.

"Doesn't think much of Bagman, though, does she?" Harry said. "Wonder what Crouch says at home about him?"

"Probably says he's not a very good Head of Department," Hermione said. "And let's face it, he's got a point, hasn't he?"

"I'd still rather work for him than old Crouch," Ron said as he broke one of the fake wands, then picked another as though nothing had happened. "At least Bagman's got a sense of humour."

"Don't let Percy hear you say that — "

"Will everyone pay attention?" she said in an irritated voice. "Good. I have something to say to you all.

"The Yule Ball is approaching — a traditional part of the Triwizard Tournament and an opportunity for us to socialize with our foreign guests. Now, the ball will be open only to fourth years and above — although you may invite a younger student if you wish — "

Lavender and Parvati giggled, turning around to look at Harry. Hermione and I exchanged a look, trying not to laugh as Professor McGonagall went on.

"Dress robes will be worn, and the ball will start at eight o'clock on Christmas Dat, finishing at midnight in the Great Hall. Now then — "

She looked around the class.

"The Yule Ball is of course a chance for us all to — er — let our hair down," she said disapprovingly. "But that does NOT mean that we will be relaxing the standards of behaviour we expect from Hogwarts student. I expect each and every one of you to put your best foot forward, and I mean this literally because the Yule ball is first and foremost — a dance."

"A dance?" I whispered as most of the girls began to whisper and giggle amongst themselves. Beside me, Ron groaned.

"Silence!" Professor McGonagall shouted. "The House of Godric Gryffindor has commanded the respect of the wizarding world for nearly ten centuries. I will not have you in the course of a single evening besmirching that name by behaving like a babbling, bumbling band of baboons."

I couldn't help but chuckle at this, but Professor McGonagall did not hear because, at that moment, the bell rang, freeing us all from her speech.

"Potter — a word, if you please," she said.

Ron, Hermione and I walked out of the classroom.

"A dance," Ron said gloomily.

"You can ask Veela girl," I said in a teasing tone.

"Ha ha, very funny," Ron said.

I had never known so many people to put their names down to stay at Hogwarts for Christmas. Although Christmas at my house was never the most exciting — or even happy — thing one could imagine, I was tempted to not put my name down. Hermione, however, forced me to stay, talking about how this was a once in a lifetime opportunity and what not.