Chapter 115 - Neville's Courage

I sat at the bottom of the stairs and stared through the large oak doors at the aftermath of the battle that had raged in the courtyard only a few hours ago. I was cold and tired, and an unbearable pain seared through me. I brought a shaking finger to my lips, where I could still feel the remains of Harry's last kiss. Another sob escaped my lips and I shut my eyes. I was dreaming. This was all just a nightmare. It had to be just a nightmare . . . .

But then I felt two people sit on either side of me and opened my eyes to see Ron and Hermione looking down at me, my pain reflected into their own eyes, and I knew that it was real. None of us said a word for what seemed like ages, and soon the sky was slowly rising in the sky, engulfing the courtyard in scarlet and amber.

A figure emerged from the Great Hall and I saw that it was my dad. He frowned as his eyes landed on me and I ran straight into his arms. I began to sob uncontrollably and let myself be comforted by him as though I was a helpless child.

But then more people came out of the Hall and walked toward the courtyard. I looked out and frowned when I saw a large group of people marching toward the castle. My mouth fell open and I rushed outside, not listening as my father called out for me. I stopped beside Neville, who was holding the Sorting Hat, and we exchanged a look. It was Voldemort and all his followers. I frowned when I saw Hagrid, but then all the air seemed to have been extracted from my lungs as I saw that he was holding someone.

"Who is that Hagrid's carrying?" I asked in a shaking voice. "Neville, who is that?"

But I already knew the answer to that, I simply did not want to believe it. I could not believe it.

"Harry Potter . . ." Voldemort began, "is dead."

"NO!" A strangled cry erupted from my throat and I launched myself forward, but a strong arm wrapped itself around me. It was my father. "HARRY!"

"SILENCE!" Voldemort bellowed.

There was a bang and a flashof bright light, and silence was forced upon everyone in the courtyard.

"It is over! Sethim down, Hagrid, at my feet, where he belongs!" Voldemort said.

"No!" I sobbed and shook my head as I held on tightly to my dad.

Hagrid lowered Harry onto the ground, and at last, I could see his face. He looked so peaceful . . .

"You see? Harry Potter isdead!" he repeated. "Do you understand now, deluded ones? He was nothing, ever,but a boy who relied on others to sacrifice themselves for him!"

"He beat you!" Ron shouted, causing everyone behind us to scream in agreement.

"He was killed while trying to sneak out of the castle grounds," Voldemort said, "killedwhile trying to save himself —"

I shook my head vigorously. Lies.

Suddenly there was a shout and I gasped as I saw Neville charge at Voldemort. Within an instant, Voldemort raised his own wand and disarmed Neville, who was thrown against the ground.

"And who is this?" Voldemort hissed. "Who has volunteered to demonstrate what happens to those who continue tofight when the battle is lost?"

Bellatrix laughed. "It is Neville Longbottom, my Lord! The boy who has been givingthe Carrows so much trouble! The son of the Aurors, remember?"

"Ah, yes, I remember," Voldemort said as he looked down at Neville.

Neville struggled to stand up, weaponless and stared at Voldemort defiantly. "I'd like to say something!"