Chapter 46 - Occlumency and Death Eaters

The following day was as banal as any Monday had ever been. Nothing seemed remotely interesting in any of my classes, not even Potions, which I rather enjoyed despite the moroseness of Professor Snape. Professor Trelawney had been even more on the edge and had predicted everyone's sudden and painful deaths in their dreams. Umbridge had stuck to her habit of being simply horrible, of course. I was walking toward the library with Harry, Ron, and Hermione when an all too familiar voice called after Harry.

"Oh, hey, Cho," Harry said.

"We'll be in the library, Harry," Hermione said as she dragged Ron and me away. I had small eye contact with Cho before turning around. I scoffed when we were far enough for them not to hear us.

"Why did you do that?" I asked.

"Do what?" Hermione said with a confused expression.

"Make us leave like that, now who knows what'll happen!" I said, throwing my hands up in the air.

"What, you wanted us to just stand there so that nothing would happen?" She said.

"What?" Ron asked, his gaze going back and forth between Hermione and me. I grunted in annoyance: I had completely forgotten that he was right there!

"Er, nothing," Hermione said, realizing her mistake.

"No," Ron breathed out as we walked into the corridor leading to the library. "You like Harry?"

"No!" I said as we entered the library. Hermione and I sat down in front of him.

"Then why don't you want anything to happen between him and Cho?" He whispered.

I looked up to him. "I don't like her," I said, returning to my books.

"Well, big surprise since you like Harry," He said, making me glare angrily at him.

"I do not!" I said, causing several people around us to shush me.

I rolled my eyes but saw that Ron was still eyeing me, a mischievous grin on his face.

"It makes sense now," He said, his eyes widening, "that's why you were so upset when he told us he kissed her."

"Incredible detective work, Ronald," Hermione said, making me glare at her. "Sorry," she spoke under her breath.

"So you do like him!"

"Alright, yes!" I said exasperatedly. "Yes, I like him. Happy?"

"Yeah!" He said, causing both Hermione and I to stare at him questioningly. "I mean, you know... you're much cooler than Cho, let's face it"

"You really do have a way with words, Ronald," I said sarcastically.

"Oh, come on, Elizabeth," He said.

"Look, can we not talk about this, please?" I said. "I've got a lot of work to and it's really not that big of a deal."

"Not that big of a deal?" He said, scandalized. "It's a huge deal!"

"It's really not, Ronald," I said, trying to focus on Umbridge's most recent homework.

"Of course it is, Elizabeth! This changes everything!" He said, no longer whispering, making several more people shush him.

"What do you mean?" Hermione and I asked.

"Well, you know..." he shrugged. "You and Harry! I mean, now you'll be together and be all lovey-dovey and Hermione and I will just be tagging along."

"Don't be ridiculous, Ronald," Hermione said.

"Yeah," I nodded. "I mean, he likes Cho, Ron."