Chapter 18 - Hermione's Anger

Getting partners to the Yule Ball was still all everyone could talk about the following day. When I entered the common room after dinner, Ron was sitting beside Ginny, looking absolutely miserable. I walked up to him, about to ask him why he hadn't been to dinner, but Harry beat me to it.

"What's up, Ron?" Harry asked.

"Why did I do it?" Ron said wildly. Harry and I exchanged a confused look. "I don't know what made me do it!"

"What?" Harry said.

"He — er — just asked Fleur Delacour to go to the ball with him," Ginny said, looking as though she was trying hard not to laugh, but she kept patting Ron's arm sympathetically.

"You what?" Harry said.

"I don't know what made me do it!" Ron repeated. "What was I playing at? There were people — all around — I've gone mad — everyone watching! I was just walking past her in the entrance hall — she was standing there talking to Diggory — and it sort of came over me — and I asked her!'

"Actually, he sort of screamed at her," Ginny said. "It was a bit frightening."

Ron moaned and put his face in his hands. "She looked at me like I was a sea slug or something. Didn't even answer. And then — I dunno — I just sort of came to my senses and ran for it."

"She's part veela," Harry said. "You were right — her grandmother was one. It wasn't your fault."

"This is mad," Ron said. "We're the only ones left who haven't got anyone — well, except Neville — "

"Er — " Harry said uncomfortably. "Actually, about that — "

"What? Neville's found someone?"

"I dunno," Harry said. "But I have."

"What?" Ron exclaimed. "Who?"

"Nice to meet you," I said jokingly.

"You two?" he said. "Seriously?"

"Yep," Harry said.

"As friends, of course," I added.

"Great," Ron mumbled. "Now it's just me and Neville."

"Yeah, about that — " Ginny said, but Ron went on.

"Hey — guess who he just asked? Hermione!"

"What?" Harry gaped at him while I said, "Really?"

"Yeah, I know!" Ron said. "He said she's always been really nice, helping him out with work and stuff — but she told him she was already going with someone. Ha! As if!" he laughed. I raised my eyebrows. "She just didn't want to go with Neville . . . I mean, who would?"

"Hey!" I said.

"Don't!" Ginny said, clearly as annoyed as I was. "Don't laugh — "

But Ron continued to laugh. At that moment, Hermione climbed through the portrait hole.

"Why weren't you at dinner?" Hermione asked him.

"Because — oh shut up laughing," Ginny said. "Because he's just been turned down by Fleur Delacour!"

That shut him right up.

"Thanks a bunch, Ginny," Ron said.

Hermione smirked. "All the good-looking ones taken, Ron?" she said. "Eloise Midgen is starting to look quite pretty now, is she? Well, I'm sure you'll find someone somewhere who'll have you."

Ron stared at her with wide eyes. "Hermione," he said. "Neville's right — you are a girl. . . ."

"Oh well spotted," she said tartly.