Chapter 61 - Diagon Alley

The next morning we all received our Hogwarts letters with our list of books so it was decided that we would go to Diagon Alley. Mrs. Weasley insisted that we wait for the weekend to go with Mr. Weasley as that would be more prudent.

"Mum, d'you honestly think You-Know-Who's going to be hiding behind a bookshelf in Flourish and Blotts?" Ron sniggered.

"Fortescue and Ollivander went on holiday, did they?" Mrs. Weasley retorted angrily. "If you think security's a laughing matter you can stay behind."

"No, I want to come and see Fred and George's shop!" Ron said hastily. He rolled his eyes after she left the room. "Blimey... you can't even make a joke around here anymore..."

***

On Saturday morning, we all hopped into one of the special Ministry cars which were large enough so that we could all fit comfortably inside.

"It's good Dad can get us these again," Ron said as we sat down on the back seat.

"Don't get used to it, it's only because of Harry," Mr. Weasley said over his shoulder. I gulped nervously. Despite Harry and I not being on very good terms, Mr. Weasley's words made me worry for him. "He's been given top-grade security status. And we'll be joining up with additional security at the Leaky Cauldron."

But when we got out of the car, we were surprised to see not a large group of Aurors as we had expected, but a beaming Hagrid instead.

"We didn't know "security" meant you!" Harry said.

"See, the Ministry wanted ter send a bunch o' Aurors, but Dumbledore sais I'd do," Hagrid said proudly.

The Leaky Cauldron was completely empty apart from the landlord as we passed through to reach the courtyard in the back. Hagrid raised his pink umbrella and rapped a certain brick in the wall, which opened to form an archway. I stepped through and paused, looking around. Diagon Alley had changed. It was gloomier and darker than I remembered and practically deserted. Many of the shops had closed, their windows now obscured by dozens of Ministry posters showing wanted wizards and witches.

Hagrid then accompanied Harry, Ron, Hermione and I to Madam Malkin's while the others went to Flourish and Blotts to get our books. The four of us entered the small shop while Hagrid stood to guard outside. As soon as the door closed shut behind us, we heard a familiar voice coming from the back of the store.

"Watch it, will you!" Draco said and then he noticed us standing there. "If you're wondering what the smell is, Mother, a Mudblood just walked in," he said, making me glare at him angrily.

"I don't think there's any need for language like that!" Madam Malkin said.

But Harry and Ron raised their wands and pointed them at Malfoy.

"No, don't, honestly," Hermione whispered to them.

"Yeah, like you'd dare do magic out of school," Malfoy sneered.

"Put those away," Draco's mother said as she arrived beside him. "If you attack my son again, I shall ensure that is the last thing you ever do."

"Really?" Harry said, making me sigh in annoyance. "Going to get a few Death Eater pals to do us in, are you?"

"Really, you shouldn't accuse—" Madam Malkin said.

"I see that being Dumbledore's favourite has given you a false sense of security, Harry Potter. But Dumbledore won't always be there to protect you," Narcissa Malfoy said.

"Wow... look at that... he's not here now!" Harry said as he looked mockingly around the shop. "So why not have a go? They might be able to find you a double cell in Azkaban with your loser of a husband!"

My eyes widened in shock at hearing Harry say such horrible things.

"Don't you dare talk to my mother like that, Potter!" Malfoy snarled as he pointed his wand at him.

"Stop!" I shouted as I took a step forward. "Both of you, stop!"

"Well, at least one of you is capable of being sensible," Narcissa Malfoy said as she glanced at me before walking out.

"Got your girlfriend doing your work for you, Potter?" Malfoy sneered before banging as hard as he could into Ron on his way out.

Madam Malkin was distracted all through the fitting of Ron and Harry's news robes and seemed glad to see us leave. We then walked to the apothecary where Hermione and I bought the required ingredients for Potions before heading to Weasley's Wizard Wheezes.

"We really haven't got too long," Mrs. Weasley said once we had rejoined them.

"Whoa," Ron said.

I gasped when I saw Fred and George's huge and bright shop It was so packed with people inside that we could not even get to the shelves, which were filled with skiving snackboxes, trick wands, spell-checking quills and more.

"Patented Daydream Charms..." Hermione read as we finally managed to squeeze our way through to a large display. I peered over her shoulder to see what she was looking at.

"One simple incantation and you will enter a top-quality, highly realistic thirty-minute daydream, easy to fit into the average school lesson and virtually undetectable. Not for sale to under-sixteens. You know," she looked up to me, "that really is extraordinary magic!"

"For that, Hermione," Fred said as he arrived beside us, "you can have one for free."

"Come," I said as I dragged her away to another large display where Ginny was holding a small pink vial.

"Best range of love potions," George said.

"Do they work?" Ginny asked sceptically.

"Of course! Though, from what we hear, you're doing just fine on your own," Fred said.

"Meaning?"

"Are you not currently dating Dean Thomas?" He asked.

"That's none of your business," she told them before walking away, making me smirk.

"What are those?" I asked, pointing at several round pink and purple balls rolling at the bottom of a cage.

"Pigmy Puffs," George said.

"They're so cute!" Ginny and I said, smiling.

"Fairly cuddly, too," Fred said.

"Mum, can I have a Pygmy Puff?" Ginny asked as they began to emit high-pitched squeaks.

"A what?" Mrs. Weasley said.

Ginny and I giggled and I turned around to join Hermione, but could not find her anywhere. As I walked around the shop, I realized Ron and Harry were nowhere to be seen as well. Frowning, I stepped out the door and looked down the empty street. Just as I was about to go back inside, I caught a glimpse three bodyless pairs of feet crossing the street. I sighed in annoyance before taking a step in their direction but was blocked by a strong arm.

"Just where do ye think yer goin'?" Hagrid asked.

"Just needed some air," I lied. "Too crowded in there."

"Aye, it does look a bit tight," he said as he retrieved his arm. "I can't wait for yer ter see wha' I've got planned for yer lot this year," he said cheerfully. I only nodded in response. I did not have the heart to tell him I would not be taking Care of Magical Creatures this year.