Chapter 41 - The Lion and The Serpent

The next morning, Hermione and I dressed quickly before going to the great hall. The corridors were filled with students clad in either Slytherin or Gryffindor colours, as we were, to show support to the teams playing the first Quidditch match of the season. I noticed crown shaped badges on the Slytherin robes, and frowned when I read the markings upon them.

"Oh, no," I breathed out, making Hermione frown.

"What?" She asked and I discreetly pointed at the badges where the words "Weasley is our King" were engraved.

"That can't be good," she said.

The Great Hall was practically full when we walked in, the talk much louder than usual. I spotted Harry and Ron at the Gryffindor table and went to sit in front of them.

"Why did I I try out for the team?" I heard Ron say as I sat down. "This is mental."

"Don't be thick," Harry told him as he filled Ron's plate.

"Are you alright?" Hermione asked.

"He's just nervous," Harry replied.

"Well, being nervous is a good thing, I think," she said, "I think it makes you perform better."

"Hello, guys," I heard Luna say from behind me. I turned around to see her wearing a huge lion-shaped hat. "I'm supporting Gryffindor," she said as though that weren't obvious enough. "Look what my hat does."

She tapped it and suddenly its mouth opened wide and gave a loud roar that made us all jump. She smiled at us before returning to her table, leaving us to recover from what had just happened. Harry was waiting for Ron to have some breakfast before leaving, but after ten minutes, it became clear that Ron could not stomach the cereal that sat before him.

"We'll be going now," Harry said as he began to stand up, pulling Ron with him.

"Good luck, Ron!" I said as I hugged him over the table. "You two, Harry!" I said. "Don't let Ron see what's on the Slytherin's badges," I whispered in his ear as I hugged him.

He frowned slightly, but said nothing. Hermione and I finished breakfast before walking toward the stadium. As I stepped outside, the cool air hit my face and I saw that the sky was covered in clouds yet still very bright. The seats were quickly filling up and the cheers growing louder by the minute when Hermione and I sat down between Ginny and Neville. I could hear singing, but could not make out the words as the cheering was now much too loud.

The cheering grew even louder when the teams walked out into the field. I screamed when I saw Harry and Ron, who looked particularly unwell even from this distance. Madam Hooch then blowed her whistle and the balls were released, indicating the start of the match.

I was smiling and cheering loudly as Gryffindor stole the ball from Slytherin again. Lee's commentary was particularly detailed today, and it took me a while to understand that he was trying to drown the singing coming from the Slytherin's. I focused hard and frowned in annoyance as I finally heard what they were saying:

Weasley cannot save a thing,
He cannot block a single ring,
That's why Slytherins all sing:
Weasley is our King.

Weasley was born in a bin,
He always lets the Quaffle in,
Weasley will make sure we win,
Weasley is our King.

My insides were boiling as I heard this and I prayed that Ron could not. Suddenly the Slytherin's took hold of the Quaffle and flew across the field until they threw it straight through Ron's central hoop. Loud screams came from the Slytherin end, and I grunted in annoyance.