ceraunophile

*play "agape" by Nicholas Britell (looped version) for a better reading experience*

It was mid-winter, the time where the days got shorter, and the skys were tinted grey. It was pouring rain, so hard it'd waken Eren out of his sleep. He sat up in the bed and stared out the big window displaying the green scenery and the pouring rain slowly dripping down it. He brought his knees to his chest and rested his chin on his arms, careful not to wake you.

He was having a hard time sleeping lately, struggling with dreams he was sure would become reality. Dreams where he'd fuck up and you'd leave, dreams where he would hurt you. You were all Eren seemed to have left to live for. Taking in the sight of  the scenery he looked over to your side of the bed to notice you still sound asleep, with this he carefully lifted himself out of bed and proceeded to the kitchen where he put on a pot of tea before he took a seat on the cold floor in front of the window in the silence, alone with just his thoughts.

Eren often knocked his self down and questioned his worth, what have I done to be worthy of a love like hers, how can she settle for the little I can give her, why was she given to me? Even though he'd constantly think these things, nonetheless he was grateful, grateful for your time, grateful for your patience, grateful for your body, grateful for your love, grateful for you. He was sure he was gonna fall and drag you down with him, but he was determined to prove himself wrong. Today was one of those days where Eren just needed a breath.

Tossing around in bed in search of your usual comfort, there's a void, a lack of warmth. Turning to the side of the bed, you notice Eren's absence. Sliding yourself out of bed you grab a blanket and wrap it around your shoulders, leaving the bed room and making your way to the living room in hopes of finding Eren. Turning the corner of the hallway you stop to take in the view. There he sits, in front of the window rocking himself back and forth softly. Taking a seat on the floor next to him, you place a hand on his shoulder  in which in return he laid his head in your lap. You sit there, your fingers running through his hair for a moment before you break the silence.

"What's wrong baby, tell me something?" You say, in a sweet tone.

He let out a sigh, no answer.

Attempting to at least get a few words out of him you begin to ask questions.

_____

"okay... what's your biggest fear?" you asked, holding his face in your lap as he watched the rain pour.

"You." He whispered. Your hands fell from his face to your thighs.

"I'm afraid that one day you'll look at me, and see me how I see myself. Im afraid that one day you'll leave."

Taken aback by his answer you lift his head up so that you can see his eyes, the ones that shine like the stars when he talks about things he likes, the ones that admire you.

It pained you to hear that he thought such terrible things of himself... of you. He'd always been there for you, even when you'd upset him not once did he lash out at you or make you feel like any less than you were. He was a mess, a train wreck, but a beautiful one. Holding him when he was down, caring for him when he was sick, you didn't care. You never cared. You didn't mind taking an extra day off work if it meant you could be with him a moment longer. You loved him. More than anything in this life, you were all each other had but you were okay with that because you didn't need anybody else. Nobody could turn a terrible day into an amazing one like he could,  no ones smile could make your heart flutter like his could, nobody's  name could make you melt how you did when you'd hear it, no one knew your body and your mind the way he did.

You tucked his hair behind his ear and cupped his face in your hand. The rain poured even harder as he placed a hand on your wrist and slowly ran his thumb up, and down the back of your hand.

"There is nothing you could ever do to make me stop loving you." you started.

"What we have, this. This is good Eren. Let us drown out the bad, let me drown out the bad. I love you, and I want to be here for you to help you see yourself the way I do." You leaned in and rested your forehead against his, gliding your hand across the back of his neck, feeling his pulse along the way. You took his hand and placed it slightly above your chest before bringing your eyes back up to meet his.

"I'm real Eren, this," you said gesturing to yourself, and then to him. "This is real."

He held your face in his hands before pulling you in, and planting a soft, gentle kiss on your lips. His eyebrows furrowed as your lips met, pulling away only for a moment to whisper,

"I am in love with you."