calm before the storm {3}

when you see *** play the song for enhanced experience
(raw and unedited)

Eren placed his things on the small couch under the window, and took a seat in the chair beside you. There you were, lying in a hospital bed. Your hair was a mess, and your face lacked color, yet you still managed to look effortlessly beautiful. His eyes began to burn at the sight of all the IV's poking in your skin. It physically pained him to see you so helpless. You were always so driven, never let anything stop you. He moved the chair closer to your bed and placed your hand in his, before laying his head on the free bed beside your thigh, and allowing himself to fall asleep.

____

You woke up to the cold, gray hospital room, alone with just a nurse. Not the same one from last night, but taller. She turned around and smiled when she noticed you were awake. She placed a notebook and a pen on your beside table before helping you sit up.

"Good morning Y/N! Dr.Finger says no speaking and only clear liquids until after your next surgery tonight!" She said through a smile. How could she be so happy in such a terrible place. You were in pain, you wanted to go home... with Eren. You grabbed the notebook, flipped to a random page and began to write. Your arm was sore from the IV but you managed to write what you needed to. The nurse bent down to your level and read the paper out loud.

"E-R-E-N? I'm sorry i'm not sure who that is, family member?" She asked confused. You shook your head and began to sketch out a picture of what he looked like. Your eyes filled with tears and fell onto the paper as you drew the picture. You showed the nurse the picture and she realized what you were trying to do.

"Ohhhhh Eren! Young man that was here earlier? I sent him home to shower and get you new clothes for when we send you home! He was asleep when I got here!" She giggled. "He should be back any minute now actually!"

As she finished her sentence the door flew open followed by a rush of cool air, and Eren. The sight of him alone was enough to make you cry, you were in so much pain and all you wanted was to feel the comfort of him being close to you. The moment he walked through the door it was like everything was okay again. It felt easier to breathe in his presence.  He turned around letting the door close behind him. His eyes were immediately glued to you, he told himself he was gonna try to keep himself composed but the second he saw you awake, he couldn't stop his eyes from watering. He put your bags on the floor and walked over to your bed. You attempted to sit up but the pain was unbearable. He held your hand in his and ran his hand over your forehead.

The nurse in the room giggled before leaving you two to have a moment to yourselves.

"Hi baby,"  he whispered wiping the tears from your face. He wanted to wrap his arms around you and just hold you. Never letting you out of his sight ever again. You grabbed the black leather notebook the nurse had left you and began to write. He watched as you scribbled away, tears clouding your vision. You dropped the pen, and Eren grabbed the notebook and began to read.

"I don't really know what happened, but I heard you, all of it."  He read the paper to himself. Your messy handwriting made him smile. He scanned the paper again before looking back up at you. His eyes gleamed and sparkled like an exotic sea.

"And I meant every word, all of it." He replied, your hand in his.

"Y/N I love you, I am in love with you, and last night showed me that I don't ever wanna spend time away from you. Come stay with me when you're out of here?"  You smiled, tears in your eyes while he confessed, as you laid there a mess in the hospital bed. You grabbed the note book again and started to write.

"Is this your romantic way of asking me to be your girlfriend?

He laughed and you smiled as he nodded his head yes. You placed your hand on his cheek and gave him a gentle nod. He laid his forehead on yours, before placing a gentle, yet passionate kiss on your lips. He left kisses on your forehead and your nose before allowing you to drift back to sleep.

______

You'd slept for a while before the sweet nurse from earlier came in. Eren had stayed, watching you sleep and working on his college courses for hours., and he didn't mind. He checked his phone, it was 7:52, your next surgery wasn't scheduled for until 10:00. Shortly after, the medical team working your case began to fill the room asking Eren If he could clear the room.

"We've been keeping tabs on Y/N and her vitals and blood flow, and we think its best if we go ahead and get the surgery out of the way, we have a free OR so we're set up and ready for her!" The doctor from the night you were brought in, "Dr. Finger". She had kind eyes, with bags making her look tired all the time.

"Nothings wrong though right?" He questioned her in the doorway.

"Nothing that we can see in her x-rays, which is exactly why we want to get the surgery done, so that we can go in and get a clear image. We're gonna take her up for prep now."

They rolled your bed into the hallway stopping at Eren's side allowing him to give you words before taking you back.

"Ill be here when its over...promise," He held out his pinkie and locked it in yours. "I love you."

You took a deep breath before pulling him closer, so that he could hear you.

"Page 34" You said.

He nodded, and left a kiss on your forehead before watching them wheel you back.

________

***

An hour or two into your surgery Eren left to pick up his dinner. You'd be moving in with him, never leaving his sight, and you could finally be happy... together. On his way back he looked down at his phone to notice a few missed calls from his older brother Zeke. They didn't get the privilege of growing up together but they were the closest thing they both had to family, until Eren was blessed with you. He played the voice message.

"Hey Eren, I uh, I just wanted to let you know i'm in town and that ill see you soon kid." - Zeke

He sounded worried, concerned. He usually would send a call or a text before just showing up in town but he didn't think anything of it and continued down the road, until he arrived back a the hospital.

He grabbed his bag and headed back inside.  There was a a heavy cloud over the entire hospital, it felt weird, different almost as if something had changed. As he walked into the waiting room he noticed his blonde haired brother in the middle of the room talking to a group of doctors. He placed his things down on the nearest chair before making his way over to his brother and the doctors, some of them looked familiar, the ones from your medical team.

Zeke turned around to notice Eren approaching him, the doctors attention shifting from Zeke, to Eren.

"How long have you been here? You should've told me you were coming I would've brought you food." He said hugging his brother. The doctors approached him.

"Is she out? Can I see her?" He asked. Zeke placed a gentle hand on his shoulder, sending a chill down his spine. Something was wrong, and it had something to do with his girl. He looked over at his brother with empty eyes, searching for even the tiniest bit of hope, he didn't find it.

"Eren,we discovered that the bullet was lodged into her lung, and because it was so deep, and stuck for so long, it infected her lung, and slowly spread." he shook his head in disbelief. His chest started to burn.

"No.." He uttered.

"During the procedure, Y/N lost a lot of blood, in which it began to clot. Y/N is dead, we did everything we could. I'm extremely sorry."

He looked back to his brother for confirmation, after receiving the nod, he fell into his brothers arms as he cried out for you.

"Cause the hardest part of this, is leaving you."