Chapter Fourteen

Ivy stepped down from the front passenger seat with a heavy heart. Her heart broke into thousands of tiny pieces with each step that propelled her away from her mate. She had wanted to take a long last look at the love of her life before she took flight. But she could not do it.

She was like a train on a single track that can not reverse, moving in one direction.

"Wait!!!" Alex shouted. The dread in his voice locked her at a spot.

He pulled her emergency brake.

Ivy cleared off her worried expression and pasted on a fake smile before she retraced her steps back to him. Back to where she belonged.

"Alex, you have to leave, else you will be late for the meeting." She persuaded him, but the stormy look on his face, similar to a dark sky before heavy rain, showed she had not gotten through to him.

He had kept to himself on the drive down to the city hall, not saying a word after she dragged him out of the house. She wanted to talk and break the silence, but she did not have the right words for him. He had only broken his vow of silence with his panic call.

"I don't want to leave you," He confessed. His expression was like that of a child that was told to leave his favorite toy behind on the first day of school. He looked confused and aching as he stared at her with his bright blue eyes in expectancy. His eyes tugged at her heartstrings. The manner in which he looked at her would not be far from a kicked puppy hoping for playtime.

She deserved it. She was still kicking.

Ivy was tempted to stay, to give him the moon and more. She will go the extra mile to make him happy, to bring back her playful, boisterous Alex.

Alex tilted his head while maintaining eye contact and searched her face.

For assurance?

He was visibly struggling with letting her out of his sight.

She would not blame him, if she was in his shoes, she won't trust herself either not to run. His experiences with her from the onset had made him wary of her disappearing acts.

She was to blame.

"I will be fine, I promise." she ducked her head through the rolled down driver's window and kissed him softly on his thinned, worried lips.

An innocent kiss that zipped through her body then moved down to her nether regions. It only takes a slight touch to get her body fired up.

Alex groaned deep in his throat and deepened the kiss. He pulled her head further down to his with his hands on her neck, controlling her movement. He licked the edge of her lower lip–savoring her taste as he took over from her. Even though she initiated the kiss, she never had any control in the first place.

His tongue pushed into her mouth, thirsting her, owning her. With each contact of his tongue to hers, her body shook vigorously. Sparks flew off her sensitive skin in all directions.

Kissing him was an impulsive action, born out of the desire to put him at ease and not to manipulate him. She wanted him to feel better. But it is false hope since she still planned on leaving him.

False hope.

That was not the plan, and she did not want to project that to him.

She reluctantly broke the kiss and rested her forehead against his. She was too shaken to pull back all the way.

"Give me your phone number." He muttered against her swollen lips.

Ivy pulled back and rested her back against the driver's door–obstructing her face from his view range, where he could not read her facial expressions or see the flushed skin.