mats hummels | she's not afraid

Today is the day many couples look forward to; the famous Valentine's Day. A day to make any relationship grow to the next level. A day to show extra love to your significant other; treasuring them with presents and kisses. Waking them up in the morning with cute nose kisses and then telling them how much you love them. You would repeat them famous three words countless times throughout the day.

But not in the Hummels household.

Valentine's Day is just a normal day for me and my "girlfriend". Why the quotation marks? Well let's just say Rosie doesn't like us being labelled boyfriend and girlfriend. We kiss, we have sex, we live together and we argue, doesn't this make us a couple? No, absolutely not. She'd have my insides for dinner if I ever called her my girlfriend.

Rosie is a challenging character, one minute she could be the sweetest person you have ever met but seconds later she will turn into Satan's daughter. But ten times worse. She could argue for hours on end over something little. The last argument was because I accidently left the toilet seat up.

She didn't speak to me for a full week.

I had the pleasure of meeting Mrs Fierce at a family event, she happened to be the mystery sister of my best mate. In the 15 years I had known him, he never mentioned to me that he had one. I totally understood his decision once I had spoken to her. Her fiery personality was evident; in the five minutes that we spoke she managed to say every single swearword possible. I then didn't see her until the end of the service, instantly noticing her figure grace across the floor.

I couldn't miss her.

She had that talent of lighting up a room when she entered, every pair of eyes would watch her petite frame move around the room. Mainly staring at the tight dress with the low cut top she had chosen to wear to a christening. Their mouths literally fell wide open once she started wiggling her hips to the music.

But that summed Rosie up, she wasn't short on confidence. She's not afraid of all the attention she receives, whether it is good or bad attention she soaks it up. She knows how to handle herself when questioned about her attitude. I found this out after a home match two years ago.

After weeks of pestering and praying she finally agreed to attend one of Dortmund's home matches. She didn't find football interesting whatsoever but she said she was excited to attend. She later told me she was only excited to see "sex-god Marco Reus" in real-life. After the match finished I was hoping to see a much changed Rosie, someone who actually enjoyed the match for the football and not because she saw her favourite player in the flesh.

How wrong I was.

I went into the players and family area to find out that she had spent the entire match arguing with every single WAG. She didn't witness anything from the match. Not my goal line header clearance to send the three points to us. Nothing.

That wasn't the last time she attended though. She is there at every match waving her arms around and cheering (whether she understands what is happening isn't known) sometimes even chanting. After what happened when she first attended, I thought it would be better if she sat in my family box. Avoiding all contact with the girlfriends as much as possible.

She has softened up since we met, occasionally showing her vulnerable side. We can go days were we act like an actual couple but then it's all ruined and we go back to what we are. It once happened when we took an afternoon stroll in the bright sun. Rosie was in a loving mood that day; holding my hand as we walked, kissing every part of my face that she could reach and cuddling into my chest when she felt the cold breeze.

It soon stopped.

She noticed a group of teenage girls looking our way, presumably taking photos of the both of us, which caused the end of the affection she was showing me. After the mouthful she gave them I would be very surprised if they attempted to take pictures of me again.

Two years I have been dealing with this situation. Questions cross my mind as to why she doesn't want to take the next step in our relationship.

Is she trying to test me?

Does she want to see how hard I'm going to work for her?

People have said their opinions about our relationship. Her friends have told her not to get close to me because I'll break her heart. My friends have told me that I am wasting my time chasing someone that doesn't want that type of commitment. Do I listen to them?

Never.

Because I know her better than anyone else. She acts differently around me than she does with her family and friends. I'm the one she comes to when she's had a bad day at work, when she's had an argument on the phone with her mum or when the hate from my fans has got too much.

When Rosie is away with work, I spend the entire night chatting to her on the phone until she falls asleep. And you know what happens when I tell her I can't continue on like this?

She's back at my door telling me she'll learn to love me like I love her.

Behind her fiery personality is a woman with a heart of gold. She may have problems with falling in love but she's slowly agreeing with the idea of it. A huge challenge for Rosie but I know that she will try to conquer her fear. You know why?

She's not afraid of anything.