trent alexander arnold | happiest year

How can somebody be this nervous? I had forgotten how many times I had paced around the changing room. In thirty minutes I was about to make the most important walk in my professional career; the walk onto the pitch for the Champions League final. If we were successful in beating Tottenham Hotspur, then I would have my hands on the precious trophy.

But that wasn't the trophy I wanted.

For my career, it was; in my personal life, I already had the best trophy. I knew whatever the result, my beautiful Madeline would be waiting for me. One year previously she helped piece me back together after the awful loss against Real Madrid; she was my rock, she supported me through the bad times.

The breath-taking brunette had been in my life for twenty wonderful years; we were introduced at birth, our mothers being childhood best friends, from there we developed a never-ending bond. It was on the night of my first Champions League final I realised we were destined to be more than friends, luckily that night she agreed to be my girlfriend.

Three hundred and sixty-five days later and our relationship had blossomed, it was the happiest year of my life. Every game I would glance around looking for her sparkling green eyes and I wouldn't be disappointed when I found them; whether we were home or away, Madeleine would come watch every game, she was my biggest and best supporter.

As we walked out onto the pitch I could feel my palms sweating. The adrenaline started to pump through my body as I heard the crowd, I knew we were going to win this final. I took one last look at my good luck charm and smiled, seeing her face light up as our eyes connected.

The match finished with a win to Liverpool. I dropped to my knees and let my tears run free; after last year's heartache, this was incredibly emotional. I celebrated with the team and waited for my family to appear on the pitch and most importantly, her. The woman that was constantly on my mind, who clouded my thoughts, who I was completely in love with.

She made me the happiest.

"Baby, I'm so proud of you," Madeline beamed, a single tear releasing down her cheek. I pecked her lips and pulled her in for a tight hug, I didn't want to let her out of my grasp. She giggled into my shoulder and tugged on my medal. "Suit's you."

"My two greatest achievements in one place," I grinned. She tucked a strand of her brown hair behind her ears as we both stared deeply into each other's eyes, her bright eyes that showed so much warmth and happiness. "You are all I need, forever, you and me, every day."

I quickly zoned back into reality, my vision becoming much clearer as I realized where I am. I glance around and notice the fireworks, bright lights and all my teammates. My eyes land on my mother's warm smile, I return the gesture and place my hand on my Premier League medal.

After thirty years, we finally did it.

"Hey bro, you okay?" Jordan questioned. He rested a reassuring hand on my shoulder, smiling gently in my direction. "Are you thinking about her? You know she'll be proud of you."

I sighed to myself and quickly blinked away any tears that were threatening to fall. The worst part of life is when the person who gave you the best memories, becomes a memory. Two months after our year anniversary, my world was shattered. The day was forever etched onto my mind and it was my least favourite memory; I remember the sound of the doctor's voice telling me my favourite person only had minutes to live. I recall the journey to the hospital; the traffic, my sweaty palms, my tear-stained cheeks. My heart breaks every time I picture her frail body in the hospital bed, her pale face and tired features.

Madeline was my medicine; she helped me laugh, smile when it was hard, she kept me going. I had the pleasure of spending one year as her boyfriend and it was an honour, she was the happiest part of me. Now all I have are memories and I know that will never be enough.

We had spoken about the Premier League; I told her this was the year we win it, I wanted to win it for her. She was my motivation, she was my best friend, she was the love of my life. I don't think I'll ever forget the way she made me feel or how we used to dance together, how we used to laugh. I wish I could go back in time & relive everything. I would've appreciated every single moment more if I knew we weren't going to spend the rest of our lives together. I keep reminding myself that I shouldn't keep looking out the window, hoping to see her walk back into my life and piece me back together again.

I picked up my medal and kissed the surface, pointing it towards the sky. I looked up and noticed a twinkling star, I softly smiled and released a tear. "I knew you were watching me; thank you for the happiest year of my life."