fernando torres | daddy's first night

People ask me all the time which is the hardest job; playing football or looking after my kids. Before tonight I couldn't answer that question with a full answer, instead I would mention how easy it was because of how well-behaved they were for their mother.

I was about to be proven wrong.

My twins were born four years ago; little Isabella and Thomas were my pride and joy. I would dedicate my goals to the two of them and their mother, Lisa. My wife was a supermom, juggling her duties of working as a primary school teacher and looking after our lovely kids. I would help out from time to time but I didn't do it alone, Mabelle would also be available to assist me. She was the kid's fulltime babysitter, so having her around really helped.

But tonight was different.

No wife.

No babysitter.

Just me and my two children.

Because Lisa had been working unbelievably hard over the past few weeks, I had persuaded her to take the night off and enjoy a relaxed evening with her friends. She was against this idea at first but after a lot of thinking (and pestering from yours truly) she soon agreed to it. It may have taken her a whole month to agree but I was happy she did. To say she was worried was an understatement. It was an evening I was looking forward to; quality time with my two children.

"Right I'm ready to go, are you sure you can handle this?" Lisa nervously giggled. "If you need anything you have mine and Mabelle's num..."

"Li I'm going to be fine, go and enjoy your night!" I laughed. The faith my wife showed in me was extraordinarily low. I mean how hard could it be to look after two four-year-old kids?

I was soon about to find out as I heard loud screams from the living room. I guessed that it was Isabella crying having just seen her mother exit through the door; she always was a mummy's girl. The sounds of crying and screaming got louder as I neared the entrance of the front room, eventually seeing my four-year-old laying on the floor throwing her usual late-night tantrum.

"What's wrong little lady?" I asked as I carefully wrapped a protective arm around her waist and softly played with her hair. She cuddled into my chest as her cries became less frequent.

Isabella had a tendency to exaggerate situations; she got that from her mother.

"I want mummy to come back!" she cried.

She also got her stubbornness from her beautiful mother as well. Lisa is the only person that is able to handle and sort out the situation when it comes to Isabella. With one swift glance of her trusty glare the tantrum would be over. Just like that every cry and scream would stop straight away.

I on the other hand hadn't mastered this skill. Lisa said it was because I was childish and not serious enough, Mabelle also agreed with this comment. Women one, Fernando nil. I didn't believe in talking seriously to my kids when they had their tantrums, instead I would give them a comforting hug and offer them ice-cream.

Something they couldn't refuse. And right now was a perfect opportunity to use my master skill.

"Mummy will be back later on," I smiled. "It's a night in with daddy tonight so how about we go grab some ice-cream and watch a film?"

If Isabella nodded her head any faster it would certainly pop off her tiny body. She happily skipped towards the kitchen, patiently waiting next to the freezer with a wide grin.

"And why do you have a mischievous grin on your face?" I asked. Laughter escaping both mine and my daughter's lips as we both stared at my son who had just walked into the kitchen. A huge smile spread across his cheeky face.

And that was the main difference between my twins.

Isabella liked to brag when she had done something cheeky. Telling her story of what happened to every individual she could find, her naughty antic would be known. Thomas on the other hand was the total opposite, keeping quiet on what he had just done. Figuring out what he had done was hard but it normally happened in two steps, the first step is seeing him with a cheeky grin and then that would lead to step two which is stumbling across his little secret.

I was now staring at step two. The leftovers of Thomas' mad few minutes and the reason to the cheeky smile he was wearing.

My eyes had never seen such a mess. All the hair products were now swimming around in the bath, the towels were draped over all the cabinets and were now covering most of the bathroom floor and to top it off the toilet roll was spread around the entire room.

"Thomas Daniel Torres!" My eyes narrowed at the sight of the little boy coming into my view. "What have you done in here?"

"I was making you and Mummy a picture, I hope you like it," he sang, swaying his tiny body from side-to-side. The cheeky grin never leaving his lips.

"I'm sure Mummy will love it."

I softly smiled at the two children sat on the opposite couch, both patiently waiting for their mother to return. And they weren't the only ones waiting. As much as I loved my kids, I wouldn't be rushing to babysit them by myself again. And if I did the bathroom would be locked for the whole night.

"Good to have you back honey, Thomas has left you a surprise in the bathroom," my wife giggled at my comment. "Them kids have so much energy during the night!"

"You gave them ice-cream didn't you?" Lisa smirked, a quick shake of my head to disagree with her question.

"Nando you do realise that you aren't supposed to give the kids ice-cream before bed" Lisa laughed, wrapping her arms around my waist. "No wonder they caused you so much havoc!"