↳ CHAPTER SIX

MARIAH WAS SCARED

MARIAH WAS SCARED. She was rarely believed to be the fearful type, and whenever her friends needed a wing to hide under, hers was the most protective one. Kai often joked about how Mariah could win a bear if need be, and while she guessed she'd put up a good fight, she got afraid, too. She may have been less vocal about it, but she was no stranger to that gut-churning, thought-consuming void that seemed to suck all the positivity out of life and paint all the colors around her in grey, instead.

She worried that Edwards had gotten away for good, and that there was nothing she could do to find him again — to which Kai, Ella and Linda repeated that a break from the case could do her some good. No one could chase lead after lead without burning out, and while she knew it was true, Mariah didn't like to hear it.

What she liked even less was the new sinking feeling every time she shared a room with Ella. She wasn't stupid enough to pretend she didn't tense up whenever the Lopez pulled her into an enthusiastic hug, yet she certainly wasn't naive enough to believe in love at first sight — if anything, she had found the forensic scientist a nuisance, at first, but now she had begun to wonder if they were destined to only be a fan and her idol for the rest of her stay in L.A. Sure, Ella was tirelessly trying to become Mariah's friend, but that felt even harder now when her heart reacted with an involuntary leap every time the woman smiled at her.

It wasn't like she wanted a relationship right away. She just wanted to know whether or not Ella was even into women.

"It's normal to have concerns", Linda was reassuring while sitting across from Mariah at the diner she had recommended to the Rose. Apparently, they had the best grilled cheese in town and Mariah was never one to miss such a divine opportunity — so far, she was convinced, too, her silent munching beside the large window allowing Linda to share her thoughts on her current situation. "There's a lot going on in your life, but it doesn't mean all hope is lost", the Martin went on, her soothing voice hanging in the air like the warmth of a fireplace, successfully pulling all the tension away from Mariah's shoulders.

With a sigh, the detective finished her sandwich and glanced at the neon sign hanging from the window by their booth. "I know you're right", she grumbled before turning back to her unconventional therapist — one that she still paid, but just didn't want to meet in her office every week. "I just don't like feeling so helpless. This guy could be ruining lives and I'm sitting here, eating a sandwich", Mariah went on with a grimace, and at that, Linda chuckled softly.

"Well, you have to eat at some point", she reminded before resting one hand on her baby bump and leaning back in her seat. "I understand the need for control. But this man is not your responsibility alone, Mariah", Linda pointed out with the words that the Rose hadn't realized she needed to hear so desperately. She didn't say it out loud now, either, but the touched look in her eyes was quite enough for Linda to know she was doing her job right.