↳ CHAPTER TWELVE

ELUSIVE AND VICIOUS, Roman Edwards was a man of many talents and violent tendencies — the kind that had placed him smack-dab in the middle of Mariah's radar

     ELUSIVE AND VICIOUS, Roman Edwards was a man of many talents and violent tendencies — the kind that had placed him smack-dab in the middle of Mariah's radar. What had started as any other case had become personal somewhere between her arresting his boss and taking down their entire organization; even more so when he had stabbed her cousin and placed him in a critical state in the hospital. There was no denying that the space between them was decreasing by the day, and now, with the calculated crime lord on the other end of Mariah's line, she was revived with a sense of purpose and determination.

           "You should at least have the guts to face me, you dick. Running like a coward, huh? Wouldn't have guessed you to take that road", she seethed while placing the call on speaker and letting Ella do her thing on her computer. Sadly, Edwards suspected exactly what they were onto.

        "Blah, blah, Mar. Look, I'm guessin' your girl's already tryin' to track me down, so I'll just cut to the chase. You can either leave me alone or wait to see who gets hurt next", he elaborated, sounding more bored than anything. It was effective when it came to making Mariah's blood boil, whereas Ella was calmly typing away and Mazikeen was intently listening to everything happening on the call. "None of that heroic it's-my-job bullshit, yeah? Of course, you're welcome to take the risk. Your buddy seems comfortable enough sittin' next to Mateo in the hospital already."

         Clenching her fists, Mariah drew in a sharp breath and closed her eyes to weigh her options. She would have done anything for Kai and the rest of her family, but letting Edwards roam the world free was far from ideal. "You're an asshole, you know that?" she muttered, and with a boisterous laugh, the man seemed to agree.

        "Good thing I'm pretty, huh?" he hummed before clearing his throat once more. "It's your decision. Don't say I didn't warn you", he added before hanging up, smart enough not to blabber on too long — and as Mariah suspected, as soon as the call was over, Ella was sighing in defeat with the confidence on her face deflating.

        Shoving her phone into her pocket, Mariah flexed her hands in an attempt to resist swearing or kicking the evidence boxes on the floor, but before she was given time to storm out, Maze was speaking up. "I have an idea. I'll let you know if it works out", she announced curtly, and with that, she was stomping out of the lab without further explanation or invitation to go along.

         Nevertheless, Mariah followed her lead but not to chase her — instead, she just needed some air, and in her frustration, headed out to the parking lot. So sucked into her own head, she didn't even notice Ella hot on her heel, oblivious to the shorter woman's presence as she ran her hands across her face and took in the rising moonlight waiting outside. Only when Ella's perfume lingered next to her and a soft hand landed on her back, she looked aside to find the Lopez standing there with no intention to abandon her in her time of need.