↳ CHAPTER SIXTEEN

MARIAH HAD NEVER been the kind of person to walk back on her word or give up in the middle of a project — she took seeing plans through seriously, always refusing to be a quitter, determined to finish what she had started

MARIAH HAD NEVER been the kind of person to walk back on her word or give up in the middle of a project — she took seeing plans through seriously, always refusing to be a quitter, determined to finish what she had started. She supposed she was similar to Lucifer in that way; insistent on getting what she wanted, and it was also why she had, against Kai's recommendations, chosen to follow the Devil.

The silence in her car was heavy as she glanced between the mostly empty, dark road and her phone with Lucifer's location waving at her as a colorful dot on the map. Sooner rather than later, though, she closed in on the unfamiliar building that turned out to be a club named The Mayan, and a frown etched onto her forehead as she slowed down on the side of the road and looked the seemingly harmless place. It was quiet all over and besides the neon signs outside, the only source of light was the purple hue sneaking through the cracks of the rotating door inviting her to make her contribution to whatever they were doing.

As she exited her car and made sure her gun remained strapped to her hip, she recognized the chance that she would only find a phone, not Lucifer. She wasn't so sure if that was good or bad, but she remained stoic while trailing across the cracked concrete and over to the club's entrance.

Before she got to make her way inside, though, the clack of high heels alerted her to turn around, only to find Eve running down the street with baby Charlie in her arms. Unsure whether she was trying to carry him to safety or if she was the one taking him away from Linda, Mariah planted herself in her way to stop her from escaping, and in response Eve stared at her with wide eyes. Once she seemed to recognize her, though, she heaved out a relieved sigh.

"Thank goodness! That was some nasty fight in there but I'm sure it's not too late for you to help", Eve flashed a wide smile, full of her usual naivety as she clutched Charlie closer to her chest. "They gave me the baby to look after", she added, but before Mariah could ask for any details, the door of the club was swinging open and Amenadiel and Maze were filing out, breathless.

"Are you kidding me?" Mariah huffed as she glanced between the trio, "no one thought to call me?" Nevertheless, she was glad that Charlie was safe, pulling a sigh from her as she ran her hand across her face and then nodded to approve of their plan. Whatever it had been, it had worked and even if she wished she could have helped, she couldn't deny the good results.

As Amenadiel gathered the baby in his arms, he gave Mariah a soft smile as a silent thank you for being there for Linda, and with that, he walked away. No doubt, his intention was to go home, and at the thought of Linda being reunited with their child, Mariah had to crack a similar smile before turning back to Maze.

"I guess you're alright", Mariah admitted with a chuckle, and laughing, Maze gave her a doubtful look.

"That's the closest I'll get to a compliment with you", she accepted before grinning at Mariah and nudging her shoulder with her fist, "one game night with me and Iz and you'll be on board." The idea didn't sound as awful as it would have even just a week ago, but regardless, Mariah said nothing in the belief that it was best to not lie — the bud of a grin on her lips spoke on her behalf, though, promising that she was willing to give Maze a chance after everything she had helped her with.