↳ CHAPTER ONE

HOME AND COMFORT

HOME AND COMFORT. That was what Mariah had struggled to locate for so long, yet when she found herself tied between Kai Nolan's arms, it seemed it had been right there waiting for her. She was not a hugger, by any means, but for her best friend, she made an exception — and what her small, lonely apartment had failed to deliver, Kai brought in doubles, reminding her of all the warmth and love she had missed while away from her family.

It was a hug so tight, even in its silence it nearly deafened the appreciative applause echoing throughout the bullpen of the LAPD, impressed officers showing their respect for Mariah who had, at long last, returned in one piece. But once she writhed away from Kai's iron grip and met his fond stare with a weak smile on her lips, the noise around her registered back in her head and she couldn't help but glance at the crowd with careful attention.

"Detective Rose will be given her own desk by the end of the week. Until then, I expect you all to be accommodating as she wraps up her undercover operation and returns to solving cases here in L.A", the temporary Lieutenant in the precinct announced solemnly — Mariah was yet to fall victim to Kai's incessant gossiping, but she had heard rumors of the former Lieutenant's tragic end. With those words, however, the Lieutenant as well as the group of detectives went their own ways, only a few lingering around to shake the hand of the woman they had heard so much about.

"Want me to introduce you to everyone?" Kai inquired with a grin, rubbing his hands together in thrilling anticipation, and for a second, his enthusiasm was almost contagious. Mariah, nevertheless, was plagued with the wonder of what living in Los Angeles was going to be like now — she had half-expected to be able to return to New York, but as long as there were paperwork and trials to run through, she was more or less stuck.

Well, at least she had Kai.

"Do I have to?" she grimaced up at the man, who, despite his laugh, knew just what a struggle it was for her to meet new people. He respected her boundaries, too, but they trusted each other well enough to push them every now and then, and planning on just that, Kai swung an arm over her shoulders before nodding.

"No prob, just one person, then. Take a wild guess which one", he hummed in amusement, which explained itself as soon as Mariah looked at the bustling space in front of her. There were some detectives hard at work, some talking by the coffee machine, and while a few observed the Rose curiously, one stuck out above all — a short, energetic woman with lab goggles resting on top of her ponytail and her arms holding up a basket wrapped in cellophane and a red bow.

Silently, Mariah simply drew in a tired breath and gave Kai a matching look, only for him to beam up at her eagerly. Then again, his excitement was nothing compared to the sheer positivity radiating from the woman she found herself dragged towards, Kai's forceful grasp on her leather jacket leaving her no choice but to submit to her fate.