↳ CHAPTER TEN

LONGEST DAY EVER

LONGEST DAY EVER. Mariah had heard those words from Kai on several occasions, sometimes when he ran out of gummy bears during a stakeout, sometimes when there was tons of paperwork to get through. He spoke it at the smallest inconveniences and at real problems, whereas Mariah never did, but today, as she stood in the precinct with her attention span trying to reach her two fathers and the open case driving her more and more mad by the second... she came damn close.

Lucifer's ex-girlfriend was certainly not making it any easier. "You're, like, a big deal, right? That's so cool", Eve was gushing at Mariah's desk while the latter was attempting to glance past the woman's arm and into Ella's lab. Hours had ticked by and the Lopez was still not tired of hearing Andrew and Grayson's stories about New York, which she supposed she should have been grateful for. But at some point, one of them would surely make a move to go somewhere and that was what Mariah needed to see, not Eve's arms flailing in enthusiasm.

"Yeah, thanks. I'm not big on the whole celebrity thing", Mariah pointed out curtly before sucking in a frustrated breath — usually, she would make an effort to get along with co-workers, but the stress piling on her shoulders squeezed all the potential kindness out of her. Not to mention, Eve wasn't a co-worker but a civilian she was unsure even belonged in the bullpen.

"Oh, no, I was actually gonna say, I think it's so awesome how you're this... powerful woman on your own. I was always associated with my husband, you know, so that's something I want to be seen as, too", Eve continued, nevertheless, and at that, Mariah finally looked up with the annoyance in her eyebrows melting away. The frown washed away as she pursed her lips at Eve and nodded in silent understanding, suddenly not quite so opposed to hearing her out.

"I respect that", she shrugged, "and sounds to me like you're plenty powerful."

When she finally leaned back in her chair to steal another glimpse of the lab, she noticed Ella stepping out — as expected — with both Mariah's fathers following behind. Rather than making a run for it, though, they were headed straight for Mariah's desk, and Eve took the opportunity to sneak away while they wandered over to the detective with soft smiles.

"Ella here made it very clear that you guys are taking it slow, but regardless, I think you've found someone wonderful", Andrew piped up with pride evident on his face, and after shooting the scientist a grateful look for not blowing their blossoming feelings out of proportion, Mariah stood up with a soft hand landing on his dad's arm.

"I appreciate that. We haven't really... we're figuring things out, I guess. Work is just hectic right now", she struggled to find the right words; true enough, but not too much to concern her fathers who could have been in danger right there and then. "I wish we could have really spent time today, too. But once this case is done...", she went on, the void in her chest sucking in all the guilt, fear, and anger only humanly possible.