↳ CHAPTER EIGHT

WOMEN AMAZED MARIAH in many ways, but she had to confess, she had never been quite so impressed as she was watching Linda completely obliterate Benjamin at a dance battle, even with an impossible-to-ignore baby belly in her way

  WOMEN AMAZED MARIAH in many ways, but she had to confess, she had never been quite so impressed as she was watching Linda completely obliterate Benjamin at a dance battle, even with an impossible-to-ignore baby belly in her way. Mariah hadn't expected to have such a good time at Izzy's party, but with a plate of cake in her hands and her attentive eyes hypnotized by Linda's every move, she couldn't deny that she was glad she had come.

          Amenadiel had tried to best the Martin, too, but Kai had assured Mariah that someone who could keep up with Benji, was someone with unmatched power. Dan, who had otherwise kept to himself the whole night, had confirmed as much — so had Chloe, who was still firmly planted by Mariah's side as they watched the scene unfold together.

        "To be honest with you, I think Linda might have learned some of those moves from Kai", Chloe whispered over to Mariah, her words earning a snort from the Rose. She certainly didn't doubt that, especially concluding from the excited grin on Kai's face as he sat on the edge of the kitchen counter beside Maze, and so, she gave Chloe a confirming nod. She hadn't exactly gotten along with the Decker before, her past with Kai always in the back of her mind, but when she saw the fondness in her eyes, all of it directed at the man, she supposed she wasn't all that bad.

          "Yeah, he used to challenge his bullies to dance-offs, too. Wish I could say it worked out in his favor", Mariah pointed out before digging into her cake, all the while Chloe suppressed a chuckle in response. It was no joking matter to either of them, but as long as Kai found amusement in it, they could, too.

        "He talks about you a lot, you know", Chloe added then, a wistful smile crossing her lips as she shrugged, "I'm guessing it's obvious but he really missed you." Turning back to Kai, blissfully oblivious of the two women discussing him, Mariah smiled weakly at the friend she had grown so deeply fond of all those years ago. They had depended on each other through thick and thin, and she found comfort in knowing that no matter what would happen with Edwards — or Ella — she would have Kai.

        "Especially with, uh, your... friend. With what happened to her, I mean. I guess my timing was perfect", Mariah frowned, well-aware how torn the entire team was by Charlotte's death, "almost, at least."

       Nodding, Chloe nudged Mariah's elbow gently with her own. "But you're here now. He isn't one to hide his feelings, to begin with, but I'm not sure he himself even realizes how much having you around has helped. You know, I'm there for him, but it's not the same", she elaborated, and although Mariah was unsure why the Decker was sharing all this, she couldn't help but give her an appreciative look.

       She liked knowing that she could bring Kai such comfort — and the feeling was mutual, too. He made her feel at ease. And while romance held no candle to genuine friendship, when her gaze found Ella across the room, she had to confess that the Lopez gave her solace, too. Even when everything else felt difficult and too much, she somehow felt like an anchor to reality.