↳ CHAPTER FIFTEEN

"IT'S A CLICHÉ, but you're

"IT'S A CLICHÉ, but you're... glowing." Mariah couldn't help but hum dreamily at the sight of a well-recovered Linda lying in the hospital bed with her and Amenadiel's child in her arms. The tall man was standing by Mariah's side, a vehement nod moving his head in agreement as they both followed every movement of Linda's arms as they rocked baby Charlie back and forth.

"That's what I keep telling her, too", Amenadiel grinned, making Mariah chuckle as she glanced between the baby and his father. The likeness was surely there, their doe eyes practically the same pair and bound to melt plenty of hearts in the future.

"Thank you. For being here", Linda replied with a careful, touched smile, and in an instant, Mariah was insisting that she wouldn't have missed it for the world. She had finally gotten a good night's sleep — one with barely any abrupt awakenings in the middle of the night — and she had a long day ahead of her, but Linda had helped her at her worst. Beyond a therapist, she was also a friend, and Mariah valued the few trusted ones she had greatly.

Accordingly, Linda wasn't the only reason she had stopped by the hospital before heading to work to further grill Edwards. "Well, I was wondering where all my visitors disappeared to", Mateo's voice was announcing from the doorway, and with caution rising to her throat, Mariah was leaping to help the limping man into the room while he leaned on his IV stand. "Of course, I lost to a baby. I'm sure it was a close call, though", he added jokingly, a weak laugh rising from his chest as he waved his free hand at Charlie as a greeting.

"Rest assured, you look as adorable as ever", Linda promised, her smile appearing quickly on Mateo's face, as well.

"I bet he didn't get any cookies, at least! Which, by the way, you gotta tell your girlfriend were delicious", Mateo turned back to Mariah, who inhaled in retaliation but didn't have any time to protest when Amenadiel was responding with an intrigued gasp of his own.

"Oh, it's happening?" he questioned before turning to Linda who nodded in confirmation.

"It's happening."

Stifling a chuckle, one that Mariah wouldn't have expected herself to react with even weeks ago, she wagged her finger at her friends and shook her head. "Don't gimme that. We're... figuring things out", she corrected their labels, but knowing arguments were awaiting her, she quickly switched the subject, "I am now headed for the precinct before someone mentions a wedding."

After giving Linda one last smile and kissing Mateo's cheek — and making Amenadiel promise to look after her cousin — she was heading to the parking lot and over to the precinct. She planned to take another crack at Edwards, fully intending to break the man but at this point, any further confessions would only be a cherry on top. She had him on multiple charges as was, but if she were to seriously consider leaving the force after closing the case... well, she took finishing it gracefully with ambition.