Awkward Encounters(5)

The city was even more gorgeous up close. The colors of every shade clashed and merged, creating a cacophony of beautiful crystals. There were trolls in various shapes, sizes, and colors like nothing I had ever seen before. As somebody who had been somewhat of a secret admirer of trollkind for a while now, this was like a dream come true. I had speculated numerous times and imagined what their world would look like, but none of it was as breathtaking as what we were witnessing right now.

Unfortunately, I was unable to really enjoy the architecture of the city. The adrenaline from the fight started to wear off and I found myself sweating profusely, sharp hot pain in my chest. I felt exhausted, stumbling every couple of steps. Aaarrrgghh watched me carefully, making sure I kept up with the others and didn't fall behind. Jim and Toby were too busy taking everything in to notice how bad shape I was in. Which I was very grateful for.

"So, your kind? You all live here?" Jim asked Mr. Blinky curiously.

"Trolls travel from afar to our market, to find comfort and residence. You'll find almost anything you need, and some!" he replied boastfully.

I smiled at his chipper attitude and excitement about his home, chuckling weakly. My hands trembled against my sweatshirt and I grimaced at the pain ripping across my chest. The wound seemed to be a lot deeper than I had suspected, and it seemed like I should probably get it treated before I ended up dropping dead. But then again, I would much rather drop dead than be an inconvenience.

I looked down at the little gnomes running around our feet, dancing carefully out of the way, stumbling into Aaarrrgghh. He, thankfully, caught me before I fell on my ass.

"Thanks," I said weakly.

He chuffed in response, nuzzling my head softly, which made me smile. It was kinda weird, but also kinda nice.

I watch as Jim looked down at the gnomes running around, bending down towards the gnome in front of him. "Oh, hey little guy! That's a cute pointy hat-"

The gnome bared its insanely sharp teeth at Jim and hissed. Jim leaped backward with a shriek.

"And pointy teeth!"

Mr. Blinky suddenly ran in front of Jim, attempting to stomp on the gnomes. "Go away! Get out of here! Vile vermin! Begone!" he shouts angrily.

The gnome blows a raspberry at Mr. Blinky and runs off laughing with his little friends.

"What is that?" Jim asks curiously.

"Gnomes are vermin. Pick-pockets, scum of the Earth! We only tolerate them for their grooming services."

"Grooming?"

"They eat the parasites on the larger Trolls." Mr. Blinky pointed at the gnomes perched on Aaarrrgghh's shoulder, picking at his ear. Aaarrrgghh noticed and flicked one of them off, the others screaming and scuttling away.

I chuckled, wincing, and pressing my sweatshirt tighter to the wound. It was getting pretty bad, like really bad, but I didn't want to bother them... so I didn't say anything.

"Jim! Jaylen! Check it out! Maximum coolosity there!" Toby shouted back to us, gesturing for us to follow.

Jim, Aaarrrgghh, and I all rounded the corner, gazing upon the giant orange crystal. It was even more amazing closer up, the glow illuminating the whole cavern in a warm orangish light.

"Look at that, it's amazing!" Jim breathed out excitedly.

"Heartstone," Aaarrrgghh rumbled.

"The lifeforce of Trollkind! The means that keeps us from crumbling to stone, and the source of light and sustenance!" Mr. Blinky added proudly.