Spanish Problems and a Gnome in a Dollhouse (14)

Apparently I forgot to publish this chapter like a week ago-

Don't @ me you guys, I promise it was an accident. 

~~~

------------------------------------------------------

"Wh-what do you mean he's not back to normal?!" Jaylen fretted, phone squashed between her shoulder and face as she hopped on one leg, struggling to shove her foot into her shoe. "Didn't Mr. Blinky s-s-say he should be back to full size by morning?" She finally got her sneaker on, switching to the task of pulling on a jacket whilst keeping her phone firmly tucked into the crook of her neck.

"I don't know!" Toby shouted through the phone, equally as distressed. "He's just as small as he was yesterday! And we can't exactly call him in sick, he's got that Spanish presentation today, and you know how Señor Uhl can sniff out lies. I swear that man is part bloodhound!" he stressed.

She laughed lightly at the thought of our Spanish teacher as a dog, before quickly shaking the thought from her head. "Shit," she cursed lightly under her breath. "W-w-well, what if you had him F-faceTime the class via laptop or s-something?" she offered, before remembering that he was still small. "Oh wait... He's still small, so you'd be able to tell-."

"That's it!" Toby cheered, cutting said girl off. "Jaylen you are a genius!"

"Wh-what-?" she tried asking, mildly flustered at the enthusiastic compliment.

"You head to school without us. I'll set things up here! See you in Spanish, byeee!" And with that, he hung up.

"T-Toby? Hello?" Jaylen sighed, shaking her head slightly, before shutting off her phone and shoving it into the back pocket of her jeans. Wait a minute, they didn't have Spanish together?

Jaylen sighed slightly, thinking back on how mundane her mornings used to be. She hadn't had many friends throughout middle school, and that plight seemed to follow her into high school as well. Without much to look forward to before school, except learning, her mornings had been boring and lacked much spark of enjoyment. Just recently though, she'd managed to make a couple of friends of her own. Just thinking about it made her feel giddy and excited! Despite only being friends for a couple of days, Jaylen felt like she could really, truly, call them her friends.

They'd already been through a whole lot together as is... Jaylen tried not to think too much about it. The three of them had more near-death experiences together than she'd had in her whole life. And it had only been a couple of days! It scared her a little if she was being honest. It made her nervous and goosebumps pop up on her skin, wondering what other dangers they would be facing. If Bular would do them in, just as he had done to her mother in that dream...

A deep shudder wrenched through the girl as she recalled the awful nightmare. She really didn't want to think about it at all. She felt her heart race with fear and all she wanted to do was run. God, she couldn't even look at strawberry jam anymore. The lumps seemed way too similar to the torn flesh from her nightmare. She shuddered once again, shaking her head violently to clear the thoughts from her brain. It wasn't something to think about right now. Or maybe even ever again, if she was lucky. Either way, shed be late if she kept dilly-dallying.

Chugging the last few gulps of her coffee/five-hour energy death mixture, she zipped up her jacket, grabbed her backpack, hopped onto her bike, and headed off to school.

------------------------------------------------------

Jaylen bounced her leg anxiously under the desk, sweat beading at her forehead and rolling down the side of her face. Her eyes darted between the classroom door and the watch on her wrist, nervousness swelling as each minute ticked by. She frowned heavily, glaring at the tiny clock as if it was somehow to blame.