Pilot(1)

Arcadia was a strange place, I found.

Ever since we had moved here around ten years ago, I had seen strange beings around town and the surrounding forests. Giant beasts with skin of stone, tiny green men that spoke in a garbled language, men and women changing shape. Along with this strange supernatural, there was a multitude of unsolved missing person cases. Ranging from children to the elderly.

And to top it all off, nobody in this town seemed to notice anything.

Small green men would run around raiding trash cans and stealing cats, but the locals would pass it off as raccoons. The giant stone beasts would run around town during the night and, tear up parks, and wreck houses. The locals would simply turn a blind eye, making up some lame excuse why.

In the beginning, I had tried to tell people about the things I saw, but they never believed me. After a few years, I eventually gave up, doing what I could to keep the supernatural hidden in the small town of Arcadia. I realized that it was probably a good thing that they knew nothing of the supernatural, we did have a military base extremely close to us.

For as much as I knew, most of the creatures knew nothing of my existence. Or, more specifically, that I was helping them.

Unfortunately, that was going to change.

------------------------------------------------------

I walked into school a few minutes early, dodging around other kids in the schoolyard. My head was ducked down, making myself smaller as I headed to my locker. Despite all the creepy stuff I saw all the time, humans still scared me way more. Teenagers were vicious.

I watched as Steve shoved Eli into one of the blue lockers. I flinched at the loud bang as he slammed it closed.

"O-oh, good morning Steve."

"Shut it buttsnack," Steve shouted at Eli's meek words.

...

Case in point

Unfortunately, the locker Eli got shoved in was mine. I hovered nearby, nervously. I wanted to intervene, but that was a bad idea. I would most likely end up in the locker next to Eli, and everyone would look and laugh at me. That would ruin my chances of being invisible in this school. Most of the people here had no idea I existed, and that was okay with me.

Not that I was doubting their observational skills or anything! I was just simply a very easy person to look over.

I watched quietly from the sidelines as Steve laughed and left Eli in my locker. I hesitated, waiting until Steve was out of sight, before rushing up to my locker. I nervously glanced around before reaching up to open it.

"Oh, hey Jayl- AH!"

Eli's sentence was cut off by a yelp as he fell out of the locker. Luckily, I caught him before he hit the ground. His face slammed into my collarbone and his feet got caught on the inside edge of my locker.

"O-oh no, I am so s-sorry!" I blurted out before setting Eli back on his feet. "I-I didn't m-mean to do th-that!" My voice shook with nerves as I quickly apologized.

"N-no! It's alright, I should be the one apologizing. A-and thanking you! Th-thank you," Eli said hurriedly. Eli tilted his head back, pointer finger and thumb pressed onto the bridge of his nose, blood smeared on his cheek. "Oh, man! I'm really sorry Jaylen! I got blood on your shirt," Eli said in a depressed tone of voice.

My heart sank into my stomach, he had gotten a bloody nose because of my clumsiness. "Th-th-that's alright, is your nose o-okay? I can t-take you to the n-nurse?" I looked down at my green sweatshirt. Sure enough, right next to the zipper, there was a splotch of dark red. I shrugged it off. My clothes often got bloodstains on them before, so I had a good recipe to get them out.