- 5 -

after school

Detention was horrible. He was alone in a room, he wasn't allowed to do any of his homework and the teacher took his backbag, there weren't any other students, even the damn teacher left. George couldn't even text anyone because he left his phone in his backbag. He just said there and cried for another two hours, thinking about him being a shitty friend and being replaced so easily.

As soon as Clay left the building, he lit a cigarette, enjoying the instant effect of it. "Oh, you smoke?" Nick asked. Clay nodded and said, "not my proudest habit" Nick laughed and looked around for a short, brown hair guy while lighting his own cigarette. "I get that, my friends don't like it either and they always scream at me because of it. Honestly, it's nice to see another person with the same problem within the friend group," Nick said, Clay nodded."You haven't seen George by any chance, have you?" Clay shook his head. "Oh well," Nick said. "I'm just gonna wait for him then, he's my ride home," Nick said. "See you tomorrow, Nick," Clay smiled and walked away. None of his business.

Nick waited and waited, he called George like ten times but he never answered. His car was still there, though. He figured he had detention and forgot to tell him. It happened sometimes. So Nick just waited for George, about two hours passed. Once he saw George walking out of the school building, he instantly noticed his red eyes. It crushed Nick seeing his best friend like this. He tried to help him every time but George didn't see it. He never noticed any of the effort Nick put into their friendship.

"George!" Nick called out. His best friend immediately looked up and looked for his friend. Like he said, he had a filter for his friends' voices in his head. "Look to your left," Nick called out. George, of course, immediately turned left just to see nobody there. "Ha! Gotcha!" Nick called out again. George rolled his eyes. He turned to his right and saw his best friend standing there with a huge grin across his face. "You're a fucking idiot," George said. "Wow there, since when do you swear? Are you okay? Are you sick or something?" Nick dramatically said and touched his friends forehead to see if it was hot. "God, I don't like you," George said, "Yes, I am okay, thanks for asking me, bestie" "Did you just call me bestie?" Nick gasped. "Don't ever do that again, jesus" George rolled his eyes. "Whatever you say," George mumbled, "Bestie" "Stop it," Nick demanded. "Nope," George smiled.
The two of them went to George's car. "But seriously, are you okay?" Nick worried. "Yeah, just a rough day. That's all," George explained.

"Okay, wanna tell me why you went to the principal today?" "So i was at the toilets and i had red eyes cause, like i said, i had a rough day and i was crying, this guy comes in and asked if I was okay so i said i was taking drugs. I was joking, he didn't think so and went to the principal's. I then got called to him and he didn't let me speak. So i got detention," George explained. "God, what a snitch," Nick mumbled.

The rest of the car drive went by quiet. They were jamming out to different songs, singling loudly and just having fun. George felt good for the first time in a week. The feeling left his body as soon as his best friend left the car to get to his home. George drove off, focusing on the songs, humming with them. He tried to not focus on his thoughts since they were rather negative again.

Clay came home to an empty house. His parents at work, his sister god knows where. She probably went home with a new friend she made. Clay didn't have anything to do so he just sat by his window and smoked a cigarette, watching the neighbors doing their things. He noticed his neighbor coming home, it was someone that caught his attention. It was pretty late to come home from school, he figured the principal gave him attention. He watched George going to his house, it was two houses on the right, on the opposite side of the street. He kind of felt relieved that at least someone he knew lived here. It was nice to know some of the neighbors.

He stood at the window, watching George's house, seeing no movement. There was only one light source but it seemed as if there was nobody at home. He figured his friend's room was at the back of the house. Clay went back to being on his phone, scrolling through Instagram and Twitter.  He got bored easily and noticed that he was only waiting for his sister to come home so he can go annoy her. He decided to just text her so he knew if he should wait for her or not.

bitch

when do u get home (6.00 p.m.)

Clay was looking at his phone, waiting for her to message him. It didnt't take her long, probably about ten minutes to answer. "I'm coming in an hour probably" followed by "could be 2". Clay sighed. He knew his parents are gonna be out long, so he was alone for a long time. Honestly, it annoyed him. His family barely being home resulted in him hanging out with the wrong people. There was barely any food in the fridge and he didn't want to get something delivered, so he settled on a banana. Considering he had something for lunch, it wasn't too bad. He looked around in his house, finding nothing he could do. Clay went back to his room, sat on his chair and opened the laptop, just watching random youtube videos.

George fell onto his beat, his hands covering his ears. He thought he'd be alone, but his parents were already home. He was only waiting for them to get divorced, their relationship was honestly exhausting and toxic. The constant fighting and yelling made everyone sick. But he had to admit, that them paying less attention to him was helping him a lot with loosing weight. He had the most stupid excuses to not eat, his parents not even questioning it. He was already ready to cry again, when he heard his phone getting a notification. He sighed and looked at the phone in his right hand.

sappi nappi

what are you doing (5.34 p.m.)
dickhead (5.34 p.m.)

George rolled his eyes at his best friends message. It was typical for Nick, asking a question, then insulting the person he's asking that specific question.

not much (5.34 p.m.)
why are you asking? (5.34 p.m.)

out of boredom (5.35 p.m.)
wanna go do something? (5.35 p.m.)
like go out to eat? (5.35 p.m.)

i acutally just ate some pasta, but sure, i'll come with u (5.35 p.m.)

kay, 6.30 at my place, dont come too late idiot (5.36 p.m.)

George sighed at put his phone away, he hoped his stomach wouldn't make any noises to give him away. It'd work out, though. He was used to finding excuses, nothing could bring him to eat anything today. He did so well, he was so proud of himself. He was always happier when he hadn't eaten in a while, he loved the feeling hunger left in his stomach. It reminded him that he was, in fact, alive, not just an corpse that happened to behave like a normal human being. He snapped out of his thoughts and noticed how he stood in the middle of his room for about three minutes. He was actually just happy that nobody saw him doing that. George shook his head and went looking for all the things he'd need when he left his house. Nick always forgot simple things like his wallet so he always had to make sure that he got his best friend's meal covered. George received little presents and stuff from Nick once in a while because of it. Normally, George would feel as if he was being used, but the thing with the presents really helped him a lot. He knew if it wasn't Nick he'd spent his money one, he'd be used. He was pretty sure he couldn't have that unspoken deal with anyone else in the friend group. 

As the time came, he went downstairs and put on his shoes, yelling "bye" and leaving before his parents could ask any questions. He wasn't even sure if they had heard him.  Nick was already waiting outside, he decided to bring his own car. He didn't necessarily like driving, but he had to do it once in a while, otherwise his driving skills would get worse and worse as time went by.

"How are you, bestie?" George asked as he entered Nick's car. "I'm brilliant, bestie," Nick answered and put on a forced smile. George noticed is new tactic; pretending as if he likes his new nickname. "Great to hear, bestie," George smiled, "Glad you like your new nickname" Nick rolled his eyes, not bothering to answer George as he drove off.