Chapter 88

Lydia returned to the shared dressing room at the end of the performance, feeling that nothing could possibly dampen her spirits. The halls were filled with excited chatter and laughter, the cast and crew incredibly pleased with how opening night had gone.

However, that excitement in the pit of her stomach hardened to fear as she settled down at her makeup station, discovering a plucked red rose sitting in front of a picture of she and Sherlock that she had set up to keep him with her despite the long hours of rehearsal. Unlike the other roses that had been left for her and Sherlock, this one came with a small note scribbled in a messy script.

A shame where your talents have brought you. But no need to fear, you shall soon be back with me.

Lydia dropped the slip of paper and grasped the edges of the table, desperately trying to control her erratic breathing. One of her cast mates came up behind her, wrapping her arms around Lydia before placing a kiss on her cheek.

"Lydia Evans, you were incredible out there!" She praised, clearly high on the excitement buzzing through the dressing room.

Lydia did her best to pretend she was just as swept up and gave Emma a large smile, "thanks, Em, you were just as wonderful. I can't wait to see you making your way out of the ranks of ensemble and on to become a leading lady."

"That is the dream," Emma sighed as she leaned against Lydia's chair. "But for now, you have to tell me what's got you down?"

"You saw that, did you?"

She nodded, "now spill."

"It's nothing, I just got into a bit of a row with my partner, is all. I mean, we're working through it, I just wish he were here tonight," Lydia easily lied, her eyes travelling over to the photo propped up against the mirror.

Emma put her hand on Lydia's shoulder, "I'm sorry that he couldn't be here, but it was really his loss. You were on fire and he should be ashamed of himself for not coming."

"Thanks, Em. Now go get changed, I wouldn't want to make you late for the party."

Thankful that her conversation with Emma had shifted her attention away from the rose, Lydia began getting ready for the opening night party herself. She changed out of her costume, making sure it was properly hung before removing the excess stage makeup and replacing it with what would be more acceptable in a normal public setting.

She was one of the last in the dressing room, there were only two others when the knock sounded throughout the room. Isabelle, one of the other ensemble members, pulled the door open as she was on her way out anyway. She took a step back in intimidation upon seeing who it was and asked, "can I help you sir- I mean detective- well still sir, I s'pose, unless you'd rather-"

"Sherlock?" Lydia asked, standing from her seat upon seeing him loitering in the doorway. "What are you doing here? You know, you're technically not allowed back here."

"I'm not, but Lestrade is," he grinned, flashing her Lestrade's badge.

Lydia playfully slapped his arm, but couldn't stop the smile spreading to her face, "Sherlock you can't just do that everywhere you go."

"Why not?" He challenged, raising an eyebrow.

Lydia rolled her eyes, "we can talk on the way out, I was just about done anyway. Can you wait one second?"

Sherlock gave a nod and Lydia hurried to collect her stuff, throwing it into her bag. She didn't need to pack everything, she would be back the next day anyway, but in her hurry she didn't want to take the time to sort what she could keep there and what she needed to bring home.

She bid goodbye to the other girls and then followed Sherlock out of the dressing room. Once out of earshot, he turned to her and pulled a bouquet of flowers from behind his back.

"I, er, I got you these. I know it's traditional after a performance and I thought you might like these more than roses," Sherlock explained nervously as he handed her the bouquet. Instead of the cursed roses, it was a bouquet of blue orchids with white lilies and hydrangeas, creating one of the most beautiful arrangements Lydia had ever seen.

She accepted the flowers and smiled, "you didn't need to do this for me Sherlock, but they are gorgeous. To be honest, I'm still a bit thrown off by the fact you actually came tonight."

"What I said yesterday, Lia, I didn't mean any of it. I know you just have a small role, but I would attend a musical even if you were playing a tree in the background, just to see you on that stage. Lia, you are incredible and I'm never going to miss a performance of yours."

"Well that's quite a promise, Sherlock, are you sure you should be making such a commitment?"

"I would commit to anything just to be with you," he assured her, cupping her cheek in his hand. "I know that you may need more time after what I did last night, but I want you to know that I will be here waiting for you. You are truly the best thing that has ever happened to me and if I ever try something like that again, I fully expect you to beat some sense into me. If I am ever rude to you, especially in an attempt to push you away, I deserve to be punched and I happen to know you have a mean right hook."

Lydia's lips twitched upwards and she placed her hand atop Sherlock's. "I just want you to trust in us, Sherlock. I know it's hard for you, but just promise me that you'll talk to me if you start feeling like our relationship is detrimental to you, ok? Perhaps we can prevent it from getting as far as you breaking up with me. I don't want to lose you, Sherlock."

"And I don't want to lose you," Sherlock repeating, pulling her closer to him. "If my deductions are correct, which they are, you still need a date for tonight's opening night party."

She raised an eyebrow, "you, Sherlock Holmes, want to go to a party full of social interaction?"

"Not particularly, but I do want to go celebrate your incredible performance. If there happens to be others there, then I will happily suffer through that."

Lydia smiled as titled her head up towards his, "we won't have to stay for long and then perhaps we could have ourselves our own little post-celebration celebration in private."

"I'm not sure that John will be out of the flat."

"So then we'll just have to be quiet."

-

(A/N): Just turned in my final paper of the year and should now have more time to write as now I am simply working a bit and then assistant directing/stage managing a small musical performance. I really hope that you enjoyed this chapter and the bit of reconciliation!