Chapter 6

Sherlock had instructed the group to wait in 221C, preferring to speak to them one at a time. Mrs. Hudson was more than happy to open up the empty flat for Sherlock to make use of and immediately went to fetch tea for his guests. Sherlock started with Noah, leaving the other three to be served by the enthusiastic land lady.

As soon as Sherlock had returned to his own flat, Lydia pulled out her phone and sent a text. I'm about to be in 221B, should I complete the mission?

Yes. Was all she received in return.

Taking in a deep breath she picked up her bag of belongings and rifled through it, searching for the simple chain. Lawrence and Zoe looked up at her, confused.

"You've been keeping things from us, Lia," Zoe spoke, not even bothering to ask it as a question.

Lydia nodded in response, finally pulling out the necklace and closing her fingers around it. She tossed the bag aside and sat on the floor, closing her eyes and resting her head against the wall.

"They asked me to deliver this to Sherlock's flat without being noticed. They were upset with Jake disobeying the rules, so they gave me an opportunity to lighten his punishment. I failed."

"Why didn't you tell us?" Lawrence asked, crouching down beside her.

Tears filled Lydia's eyes as she desperately blinked them back, "there was nothing we could have done. My time was up, we couldn't have saved him. I don't know, I guess I was hoping I would spare you some of the pain, but I knew they were going to kill him, so why didn't I just tell you and get it over with? Why didn't I warn him?"

Zoe placed a hand on her shoulder, "you didn't warn him because you wanted him to enjoy his West End debut, because there was nothing any of us could have done to stop them. They gave you a near impossible task so that you would blame yourself when he turned up dead."

Lydia offered her friend a small smile, grateful for their support despite her being the reason Jacob was dead. The task wasn't impossible, she just didn't try hard enough. It may have been her employers fault, but it was just as much her own. Besides, she hadn't discouraged Jacob when he went into the audition. It was her job to protect the group and she let him become a target.

Sherlock did not spend long with each person, only needing a few minutes to read their entire life story from the clothes they wore and the way they held themselves. They had all opted to change into more casual clothing while waiting instead of the fancy attire they had arrived in and that gave Sherlock a bit more insight into who they were. Now dressed in a pair of jeans and a nice jumper, Lydia mounted the stairs up to 221B, the last person to be interviewed.

John gave her a reassuring smile as she walked in and hesitantly took a seat in the chair positioned in front of the two boys. Sherlock watched her movements carefully then stared at her once she had settled, his piercing blue eyes causing chills to run up her spine. But she challenged him by staring directly back, trying to read anything from his emotionless face. John's eyes flickered between the two, trying to decipher what they were each thinking and who was winning this silent war. It became him who was the most uncomfortable in the room, not privy to the thoughts of either of his friends.

"Erm, Sherlock? Are you going to ask her any questions?" John finally piped up, desperate to break the icy silence.

Sherlock's eyes twitched towards his friend, but returned to Lydia as he replied, "there isn't much I need to ask her. She and all of her friends are hiding something from me, but she is the least likely to let anything slip."

A surge of pride washed over Lydia at this rather strange compliment, but she merely narrowed her eyes, challenging the detective. "So am I free to leave then?"