Chapter 47

Sherlock was relieved when he finally heard the sounds of sirens approaching the warehouse. They were running a little late behind his predictions and he was getting a bit nervous that the three of them would not make it out of the warehouse alive. But Scotland Yard's finest finally came rushing in, forcing both sides of the fight to lower their weapons and be arrested.

As the shooting finally came to and end, Sherlock came out from behind the pillar he was using as protection, scanning the area for John and Lydia. He had no doubt that they were both alive, he had been checking in on them periodically and knew they both knew how to handle themselves in these conditions. However, as he looked across the warehouse, clouded by excessive amounts of gunpowder, Lydia was no where to be found.

"Sherlock," Lestrade started as he hurried over to the detective, who was now feeling panic setting in at the absence of Lydia.

Lestrade was cut off by a single gunshot pervading the air, leaving nothing but silence behind. It took a moment for the police officers to resume their activities and when they did, Sherlock was already running to the door from behind which the shot had rung out. He threw the door open, immediately relieved to see Lydia standing there, looking unharmed save for a few cuts and bruises.

"Lydia, are you alright?" He asked, placing his hand on her arm.

She jumped at his sudden arrival, having been off in her own thoughts, her gaze immediately dropping to where her fingers were enclosed around the locket. Sherlock followed her gaze and his heart stopped.

He frantically shook his head as he covered her hand with his own, signing, "please, don't."

She lifted her teary eyes to meet his, surprised to see so much concern in his sea green irises. Trying to explain herself, she opened her mouth, but no words came out. Seeing her struggle, Sherlock took her in his arms, letting her cling to him as she tried to deal with the surge of emotions flooding through her. He knew immediately that she had killed the dead man and based on her determination to remove her locket, he assumed that it was on orders from the Rose Foundation, although he was unsure how they played into this.

The door to the office opened once again and Lestrade walked in, finding the two embracing, his mouth falling open. Sherlock looked up and noticed he had arrived, gently releasing Lydia and making sure that she was alright. She hastily wiped the tears that had escaped her eyes and slipped into an act, a transformation that never failed to impress Sherlock.

"Detective Inspector, I-I'm sorry," she began to explain herself, glancing down at the dead man, but quickly averting her gaze. "That was the leader of the Kray Syndicate, I was trying to question him when he lunged at me. I acted on reflex, I-I didn't know what I was doing."

Lydia's voice shook as she spoke and she clung to Sherlock's arm. Lestrade's face softened into one of understanding and pity, heart aching for the young woman in front of him. Of course, he had no idea who she was and what she had done, but it was clear to him that she was shaken from what had just happened.

"It's alright, Lydia, let's just get you out of here," he spoke in a calm voice, escorting her out of the office. She remained close to Sherlock as they passed the officers and smugglers, her hand grasped firmly in his. He was having trouble deciphering where Lydia's act ended and her real feelings began, needing to get her out of the public view and back to the flat so he can figure out what had happened and what she needed.

John rushed over to them as soon as he saw them, immediately asking, "Lydia, what's wrong?"

She shook her head, "nothing, I'm just being silly. Er, there was a man back there, I shot him. I should have kept him alive, he would have been useful to us. But when I saw him coming at me, I panicked."