Chapter 15

Zoe wrapped her fingers around Lydia's, trying to blink back the tears threatening to spill from her dark eyes. In response, Lydia spread her lips into a reassuring smile and squeezed Zoe's hand lightly. They didn't need words to communicate as Lawrence and Noah left the stage, all that needed to be said was captured in their touch. Lydia could tell that Stinton was furious with them, but to her surprise he did not stop them performing, most likely so that they could avoid making a scene. But now she was about to perform their final number.

She slipped her hand out of Zoe's and nodded to Noah and Lawrence as they passed each other, both of them at a loss for words. There was nothing left for them to say. On her orders, the three of them would leave the mansion while she was singing and if they failed to hear anything from her in the next twenty-four hours then they would report to Sherlock.

Despite the weight of the moment, she flashed a large smile out at the audience as she stepped out onto the stage, grabbing one of the mics from the stand. She brought it to her lips and addressed the crowd, "before our performance comes to a close, we just wanted to thank everyone for showing up to this event and supporting the Rose Foundation in reaching out to impoverished children, I still remember vividly the moment the Foundation promised me a better life. In dedication, I would like to end our programme with a song that reflects how grateful we all are to the Foundation and to you."

She gave a nod to the person playing the prerecorded orchestra tracks and let her gaze travel over the audience. The thought that this could be her last time performing passed through her mind, but she tried not to let herself linger on it. She was doing a good thing, something that needed to be done.

Her breath hitched in her throat as her gaze fell upon a familiar curly haired detective and she let her brave façade drop for just a small, fleeting moment, letting him see her. Not as she always presented herself, but who she really was. A small truth locked up in a cage for so long that it was nearly forgotten. His eyes narrowed as he began deducing, but she quickly replaced her vulnerability as her entrance came up.

"There was a time when men were kind, when their voices were soft, and their words inviting." Her voice rang throughout the large hall and Stinton's face hardened. "There was a time when love was blind and the world was a song and the song was exciting. There was a time then it all went wrong."

Sherlock watched her from the audience, having used Mycroft's influence to be let in to the event. He was hoping to catch the four singers in some sort of deal or else prove the the Rose Foundation was actually a front for a smuggling syndicate. Perhaps discover some secret auction in the mansion were they would sell off all of the stolen goods.

But he wasn't expecting this. Whatever was going on between Lydia and the Rose Foundation, he knew that Lydia was in trouble. Even John had realised that the repertoire the group was performing had constant undertones of rebellion and it quickly informed Sherlock that they were weren't witnessing a charity performance, but rather a demonstration. They were flirting with their lives to out the Rose Foundation as something destructive.

Their attire was something striking, at least for him. He had never seen them coordinate their outfits and the men had never worn anything besides their tuxedos. But tonight the women wore black gowns and then men suits of the same colour, as though this were a funeral. Lydia's gown was white on the bodice, patterned with black roses but the skirt was covered with a translucent black overlay that gave the illusion of fading to black. And to fit with the theme, a black rose was placed in her updo.

"I dreamed a dream in times gone by, when hope was high and life worth living. I dreamed that love would never die. I dreamed that God would be forgiving."

There was a pang in Sherlock's heart as she sang, knowing that the words she was singing was not just a character. She had been broken by this foundation, by the criminal life they had pushed upon her when she was little more than a child.

"Then I was young and unafraid and dreams were made and used and wasted. There was no ransom to be paid, no song unsung, no wine untasted."

Sherlock couldn't help but feel guilty himself for having been so hellbent on catching her and her friends. He knew that they worked for someone else, of course, and that person was his main target. But he would have happily have thrown them away in prison if that meant he could capture the person running the organisation.

"But the tigers come at night, with their voices soft as thunder," Lydia continued and Sherlock noticed how her gaze rested on one of the men in the audience. He recognised him as the face of the Rose Foundation, no doubt why it was to him she was directing her words. "As they tear your hopes apart, as they turn your dreams to shame."

Sherlock wasn't sure what he was most impressed by. Was it how she managed to retain her composure in the face of those who had wronged her as she called them out for it? Was it the sheer power behind her belt and the heart-wrenching quality that it possessed? Or was it her courage to do all of this when she clearly understood the consequences would be severe?

"He slept a summer by my side. He filled my days with endless wonder. He took my childhood in his stride. But he was gone when summer came."

Lydia's eyes travelled throughout the audience and Sherlock tracked them, wondering if she would point out more leading members of this organisation. As he glanced around, his eyes landed on a man with black hair and beady black eyes. He blinked, not believing what he thought he saw, and the man disappeared. Sherlock shook his head, trying to clear his thoughts. Moriarty had no business being at a charity event such as this, even if he was somehow connected to the smuggling ring.

"And still I dream he'll come to me, that we will live the years together," Lydia sang desperately, her eyes meeting Sherlock's and causing his heart to leap. However, she quickly lowered her gaze. "But there are dreams that cannot be and there are storms we cannot weather."

Sherlock wanted to assure her that he would help her, that everything was going to turn out fine. But even he was uncertain if that would be the case. He had no idea what he was going up against and based on the demeanor of the four singers, he assumed that they would not have much time.

"I had a dream my life would be so different from this hell I'm living. So different now from what it seemed. Now life has killed the dream I dreamed." Lydia finally let a single, fat tear fall from her teal eyes and roll down her cheek.

-

(A/N): This was my first time attempting two media elements in the little area at the beginning of the chapter so I hoped that worked out! But I figured most people have heard the song I Dreamed a Dream so it's probably not too important (also fun fact I saw the person singing it in the clip live so I couldn't resist using her since I couldn't choose a favourite Fantine). Anywho, Sherlock's here! I hope you enjoyed this chapter!