Chapter 95

The day the last phase of Moriarty's plan was enacted began like any other. Lydia awoke in the arms of the man that she loved, something he noted she enjoyed greatly and thus would no longer get out of bed before she had woken unless he needed to. As she stirred, she would snuggle just a little closer, a smile forming on her lips. How Sherlock adored that smile.

And he adored it even more knowing that their days together were limited. He knew what Moriarty planned to do with him and he knew what he would have to do to protect not just Lydia, but everyone he cared for. He could only hope that Lydia would understand why he had done it and come to forgive him.

"Morning," her voice laced with sleep spoke as Lydia's eyes fluttered open and she rested her chin on Sherlock's chest so she could gaze up at him.

He matched her smile, his thoughts returning to the present moment. "Good morning, my love."

They lay like that for a moment longer, simply taking in each other's morning looks, until Lydia finally sighed. "I suppose we should be getting out of bed."

"I don't have anything pressing going on," Sherlock shrugged, tightening her grip on her a bit.

"Sherlock Holmes, you are not the type to lounge about all day, what have I done to you?"

Sherlock hummed as he brought his lips down to hers, "you've ruined me."

...

"That's Miss Mackenzie, house mistress," Lestrade pointed out as Sherlock and Lydia got out from the back of Sally's car.

When they had arrived at the flat, summoning Sherlock to find the Ambassador's missing children, Sherlock had tried to get away with getting a cab, but considering the length of the drive, they had ended up carpooling with the Sergeant and Detective Inspector. Lydia was sure Sherlock wasn't too excited about the case, it was just a kidnapping after all, no matter how famous their daddy was. But he was well-behaved throughout the car ride, one hand resting in Lydia's and the other scrolling through his phone as he received details of the case.

However, Lydia suspected that good behaviour was about to end.

"Miss Mackenzie, you're in charge of pupil welfare, yet you left this place wide open last night!" Sherlock began and Lydia grabbed at his arm, trying to get him to stop. But he continued, "what are you? An idiot, a drunk, or a criminal? Now quickly, tell me!"

The poor woman jumped as Sherlock ripped the shock blanket from her shoulders, leaving her shaking profusely. The commotion and Sherlock's raised voice caused the others at the scene to stop what they were doing and whip around to where Sherlock was terrifying Miss Mackenzie.

When she finally overcame her initial shock, she quickly defended herself, "All the door and windows were properly bolted. No one, not even me, went into their room last night. You have to believe me!"

"I do. I just wanted you to speak quickly," Sherlock assured her, his face softened. However, it melted back to his normal cold facade as he announced, "Miss Mackenzie will need to breathe into a bag now."

Lydia huffed at Sherlock's actions and picked up the fallen shock blanket, returning it to Miss Mackenzie's shoulders shaking shoulders. While there, she rubbed her back and tried to comfort her the best she could as someone on scene delivered the bag the distressed house mistress so desperately needed to breathe into.

Even though she was sure Sherlock wanted her by his side, Lydia remained with Miss Mackenzie until she had calmed down a bit. It seemed Lydia was always having to play therapist because of Sherlock's blatant disregard for human emotions.