18

George woke up a little early the next morning, taking extra care in his looks. He picked out his favourite t-shirt, a sleeveless plaid shirt and skinny jeans with zippers all over. He obviously finished off with his beloved new rock boots, and even a swipe of eyeliner under his eyes. He'd bought it a while ago, and never quite dared to wear it until now. He knew Alex wouldn't laugh. He left the house 20 minutes before he usually would, taking a brief break in his walk to Alex's to look in the toy section of a supermarket on the way. He had promised Alex a present, after all. He looked at the vast wall of stuffed animals, contemplating which to choose. It mattered, of course. Only the best would do. He set eyes on a small care bear on the shelf, the last one left. Perfect. He wasn't sure which one it was, but it was pink and had a little rainbow on its belly so Alex was bound to love it. He went and paid, slipping a lollipop into his purchase last minute, and heading to Alex's place. As he was walking, his phone pinged in his pocket. It was Alex.

Al💕:
Not sure about my fit, do I look cute? 🥺

George looked at his phone, surprised he wasn't drooling

George looked at his phone, surprised he wasn't drooling. How was Alex so angelic? He didn't deserve to even be in his presence. It really didn't help that he was once again wearing his hoodie.
He sped up towards Alex's house, gifts in hand. Alex opened the door before George could even knock, launching himself into his arms.
"Georgie!" He cried out in delight.
"You miss me then, al?" George joked.
Alex nodded, nuzzling against George's shoulder.
"I go you a present, as promised," he smiled.
Alex clapped enthusiastically. "Really?"
George placed the bear in Alex's hands, along with the lollipop. Alex squealed excitedly.
"Cheer bear!" He exclaimed. Alex couldn't believe George knew his favourite! He flung his arms around George's neck, planting a kiss on his cheek.

"And," George began "he's small enough to have in your pocket while we're at school," Alex felt his stomach flutter. George was so thoughtful, it was so sweet.

"Get your shoes on, Al, we need to get going to school," George put him down on the soft beige carpet of the hallway. Alex pattered upstairs to retrieve his boots.
George noticed how he struggled to fasten the complicated buckles, and crouched down to help him.

As George did so, Alex noticed his soft George's hair looked. Subconsciously, he reached out to feel it. George jumped at the sensation.
"Sorry!" Alex squeaked fearfully.
"It's okay, you just made me jump, is all,"
"Sowwy," Alex whimpered in a minuscule voice, tears gathering in his eyes.
"Shhhh, it's okay buddy, I promise."
Alex looked at George shyly. George took Alex's hand, lifting it to his head.
"Touch my hair if you want, I don't mind," he smiled gently.
Alex tentatively ran his fingers through George's slightly wavy hair. It really was soft. George looked up awkwardly, still crouched next to Alex's shoes.
"You done?" He asked jokingly.
Alex snatched his hand away quickly.
"S-sorry,"
"Stop saying sorry for everything al, it's okay."
"S-" Alex began, stopping himself. Was he being annoying? He hoped not. He brought his thumb to his mouth, his overthinking leading to comfort himself the only way he knew how.

"C'mon," George led Alex out the door, locking up behind them with Alex's hello kitty themed keys. Alex kept his thumb in his mouth, the other hand intertwined with George's. He so didn't feel like school today. He wished he could go to George's. He liked it there. George's duvet was soft, and he liked wearing George's clothes too. They made him feel safe and cosy. Alex tried to be brave as school came into view, taking his thumb from his mouth, drying it on his hoodie. His mouth felt empty. It was like George sensed it.

"Chewing gum?" George offered a stick to Alex, who nodded wordlessly. He made a brief noise of appreciation, unwrapping it and placing it in his mouth. Today was going to be rough. He clutched George's hand tighter.

He remembered the care bear in his pocket, clutching it with his free hand. Cheer bear would look after him. George would look after him. He looked over and George anxiously, who smiled reassuringly back. Alex had to admit. Some of his anxiety melted away from that smile alone. The boys made their way to form, despite being early. Not even Mr. Kilkenny had got there yet. They sat at a table as for back as they could go, Alex instantly leaning on George's shoulder, pulling his care bear onto his knee, out of sight to anyone who should  walk in.

"Feel icky," Alex murmured.
"What do you mean, icky?" George questioned with concern.
"Tummy hurts.,and my head feels... funny" he whined.
"What kind of funny?"
"Like.." Alex made half hearted gestures.
"Do you need to go to the nurse?"
Alex shook his head vehemently.
"Nurse's room smells gross,"
"But if you don't feel well..." George continued.
Alex clung to George.
"scared icky,"
"Oh," George realised what Alex was referring to. He picked up the fearful boy, sitting him on his lap. He began to run his fingers through the boys brown locks.
"What can I do to help?"
"Hair," Alex stated simply, leaning against George.
"Keep doing this?" He asked for clarification.
Alex did little but nod in response.
George brushed through the boys hair, finding it oddly therapeutic himself.

The boys jumped as the door opened. Alex, relaxed as can be by that point, turned dosily round to see mr Kilkenny in the doorway.
The colour paled from George's face
"You alright, lads?"
"Hi sir!" Alex smiled, still on George's lap.
George said nothing, the paleness swiftly replaced by a beetroot red.
"George?" Alex turned to George worriedly. George said nothing, looking down, his face covered by his hair.
Alex looked between George and his teacher, anxious once more.
"Is everything okay, George?" Mr Kilkenny finally spoke. George let out a sob, making Alex, still on his knees, jump.
Alex wrapped his arms around the crying boys shoulders, who cried into Alex's neck.
"I- I- I'm- my d-dad's gonna- He says t-that-" George stammered.
Alex's heart ached for George. He understood being so afraid to be who he was, and how terrifying it was to let other people see.
"George, it's okay, I'm under no obligation to tell your parents anything that isn't to do with your work." The teacher reassured him. George looked up as he continued
"Just know I 100% support the both of you and you are always welcome in here for a safe space." Mr Kilkenny smiled kindly.
"Lord knows I'd've appreciated this as a teenager. Let's just say me and a certain lad spent an awful lot of time behind the tennis courts of my secondary back in the day. It was even less accepting back then," the teacher reminisced. "I wonder what Benjamin is up to now?"

George looked up gratefully.
"Now, if two want to sit in my office for a while, I won't tell anyone," the two boys smiled gratefully, walking towards the door at the front of the classroom. Mr Kilkenny noticed the the pink bear in Alex's hand, shrugging it off. Whatever made him happy.

George flopped into one of the soft armchairs, Alex immediately straddling his lap. He leaned forward, pulling the tear-stained boy in for a hug. "No cry," Alex nuzzled into George's neck. George wiped the remains of tears from his eyes.
"I don't cry." George insisted.
"B-but," Alex twigged on. "o-oh, of course not," he smiled.
Alex lay against George's chest
"Still feel icky," Alex sighed.
"Me too," George looked down at him.
"We go home?" Alex hinted hopefully.
"I'm okay with missing lessons if you are," George answered.
"If we go to nurse we no get in trouble for no lessons," Alex reasoned.
"Good idea, al," George ruffled the boy's hair.