Chapter Nine

One of the main reasons that switching companies in the middle of the season was discouraged was because of the onslaught of events brought on by the annual fashion calendar

I'd been a model long enough to learn how to survive the tumultuous lifestyle, but moving back to California after four years in London definitely had me hitting the ground running upon return.

This time of year was the peak sales period for the Spring/Summer collection. Between my contracted obligations as an Armani spokesperson and Brand Ambassador, I was right in the throes of a heated social season at the company.

Claire called me into her office on a brisk Tuesday morning nearly four weeks after my return. With a number of appointments booked in for the afternoon, it was the only time I could spare coming into the office.

Morning traffic in Los Angeles put me fifteen minutes behind schedule, even after I'd left home twenty minutes earlier than usual. Today the sky was overcast, and I was met with a cold blast of wind as soon as I stepped out of the car. My scarf was nearly swept away in the breeze and I hurried to fix it around my neck while jogging up the steps of the building and into the lobby.

The elevator ride up to Claire's office was quick. I brushed a stray hair out of my eyes as I came to a stop before the beige set of doors. Knocking, a soft "Come in" answered from the other side. I pushed open the door and stepped inside.

Claire was sat at her desk. Light droplets of rain began to beat against the window pane behind her. The TV mounted on her wall was quietly broadcasting the morning news. She looked up from her tablet at my entry.

"Troye," my Director greeted. She stood. "I appreciate you coming in."

"Sorry, I'm late." I apologised. "Traffic is getting worse by the day in this city."

"Don't I know it." Claire agreed. "It was total gridlock on the 110 this morning. Took me nearly an hour to get to work. Take a seat."

"I'm not in trouble, am I?" I teased, sitting down in the leather armchair before her desk.

She laughed. "Not yet. I called you here on official work business. The Annual Company Gala."

"Oh no."

"Oh, yes." Claire grinned with a hint of wickedness. "You've missed out on four consecutive events with your time in London. Now that you're back in the LA offices, people are expecting you to attend."

"People meaning you?"

"Correct."

I let out a soft laugh. "Where is it being held this year?"

The Annual Company Gala - though it's official title was actually The Fashion Coordination Society Gala - was an event hosted every year by Atwood & Ford Model Management. Objectively, it was a formal dinner hosted as an opportunity for models and designers to socialise during the season for the upcoming year. In reality, the event was a prime opportunity for the fashion industry's elite to get together to spill tea and partake in hot gossip about the season.