Chapter Seven

Penville Botanical was a public garden just south of Westwood

The rays of Californian springtime beamed down on me as I crossed the lawn, an abundance of picnic blankets scattered across the lush green. A lake glittered in the centre of the park, fenced in by a polished, black railing that stretched over a mile radius. Colourful paddle boats offered park-goers the opportunity to explore the aquatic landscape.

Beneath a canopy of weeping willows, a handful of park benches had been set up to overlook the multitude of passing joggers and strollers on the asphalt walkway. I headed toward the far right bench.

The flash of white teeth caught in the sun as Kendall Rose spotted me. Dark shades slid down his nose as he grinned. "Troye!"

"Kendall," I greeted, voice low. Sunglasses only hid so much. "It's nice to see you again."

It had been three weeks since our first meeting at Grimaldi's. Kendall's introduction into the company meant he'd had a significant presence around the office while the paperwork with his new agent was finalised. With all that charisma and poise, his regular appearances hadn't gone unnoticed.

Atwood & Ford Model Management had become rumour mill. Kendall Rose was the talk of town with everyone making the unsubtle effort to introduce themselves to him. His first day had ended in a harlequin mess of phone numbers and glamorous invitations to house parties.

Kendall wasn't the first model to make the transfer to a new agency but he already had years of enviable experience behind him. In a city as rich as Los Angeles with fashion culture, it was no surprise that a model of Kendall's status stirred up this much hype. Those with similar reputes tended to operate in the same social circles. It was like a gravitational pull, inevitable and unavoidable.

I'd seen Kendall around in no more than the fleeting hallway pass. My job wasn't acting as his agent but rather a friend to welcome him to the company. Claire thought it was a good match given our similar experiences in the field. We'd spoken on several separate occasions but this was the first time meeting alone since that day in the restaurant.

"The pleasure is mine." The French model swooped in to kiss me swiftly on both cheeks before gesturing to the bench. "Please, have a seat."

I sat down beside him. "I must say, I was a little surprised receiving your call."

"Why is that?"

Chuckling, I answered, "Because I'm the one who's supposed to be helping you integrate into L.A society, not the other way around. Shouldn't I be the one sending you invitations to lunch?"

Kendall waved his hand in dismissal, silver rings flashing in the sunlight. "You're a busy man, Troye. One can't expect to be graced with your presence at all hours of the day, no matter how greatly they desire it. Besides, you just got back from London."

"A month ago."

"Then lunch is the least I can do."

I laughed. "You're too kind."