Chapter Three

My childhood bedroom looked the same as it did all those years ago when I was living in it as a kid

Our parents had kept both Aria and my old rooms that way we'd left them. Given how closely we lived nearby, we sometimes stayed the night at our parents' house and it made sense to maintain a bedroom for said purposes.

I'd moved out of my parents' house when I was nineteen. My job had been fortunate enough to allow me to move out earlier than most people would but I knew that was just luck and luck finds a way to run out.

As a teenager I'd always dreamed of having a small, cute place with someone I loved. For a long time, I believed that would be my ex-boyfriend Cameron, but when he died all those dreams flew out the window and I thought I would never see them again.

Lucky for me, though I didn't know it at the time, I had someone to help me work through that pain and a few years later I found myself living in a shared apartment.

But this luck was no different to the one I'd experienced as a teenager. It ran out long ago and I had moved to London as a result. Now I was back home and for the first time in my life and living at a different place than I was used to.

The walls of my old bedroom were still the same light shade of grey they had been for the last ten years. I'd painted them when I was younger and my parents finally let me begin to design my own bedroom the way I'd wanted it.

It may have seemed plain at first glance but the photographs and picture frames that adorned the walls begged to differ. Numerous items decorated the space; photos of friends, family, work by famous artists, maps, constellation charts. Anything that I found beautiful was arranged in a way that displayed every bit of artistic license I'd had in my small bedroom as a kid.

The furniture was plain but I'd never cared about such things. To me, a space was what you made of it, and I'd chosen to line the walls of my room with the thing I'd fallen in love with the most. Photography.

Cam had been the one to push me for a modelling job but I had loved photography long before that. I'd owned my first camera by the age of ten until I realised I loved being photographed more than doing it myself. My family differed in that respect.

The rest of my family were musicians, and Aria had followed in our parent's footsteps and now dominated the charts as one of the world's best-selling artists. Our father owned the record label that signed our mother when she was younger and I knew that music would always be something that bonded the three together.

That life had never been for me. Due to our parents' status and fame, Aria and I had both grown up in the spotlight since we were born. Mom and Dad did their best to shield us from it but the entire world knew the Evans by name. It was just that mine was stamped as a model rather than a musician.

There were days when I felt the repercussions of choosing a different path to the rest of my family. The nights when they would all sing and dance in the kitchen together, all the times we'd gone to see Aria perform on tour, the moments when we'd been stopped on the street because people wanted autographs from Mom, the way my father was known as an esteemed producer in the music industry.