Chapter Four

When I'd first moved out of home, it was straight into a shared apartment

When I'd first moved out of home, it was straight into a shared apartment. Other than London, I had never lived on my own. The thought of doing so was both exciting and nerve-wracking.

In London it didn't really matter what my living arrangements were because I was rarely there. The work hours were longer and the days busier. Some nights I would just crash on a friend's couch, granted I didn't have a shoot the next day.

Before I left England, I had made arrangements to come back having a place of my own. It wasn't as though I'd never considered owning my own house - a six figure pay check could accommodate that quite comfortably - I'd just never needed to.

I was still young when I'd moved out of my parents' house and when living with someone else, I thought I could never be happier. That I'd never need anything different. It was a kick in the guts to find out the hard way that wasn't true.

I'd been in contact with a real estate agent over the phone in London who had done her best to hunt down places suitable for my needs.

I didn't need anything big and flashy. My vision for the future was to save my money for a house I'd have a family in but now that that was all gone, I'd had a change of heart.

Rita, my agent, had finally found the perfect place after three months of searching. It was a small, two-storey house only ten minutes from my parent's place and was updated in all the latest appliances and decor while still remaining authentic.

Rita had given me a house tour over Skype. It wasn't the most conventional nor practical way to purchase a house but we'd made it work. I was only living with my parents since I'd returned because my moving-in day wasn't until a week after I got back.

Finally, that day had come and I was trying to contain my nerves at the prospect of moving in alone.

"Honey, relax." Mom said as she carried a box past me and out the front door. "Everything is running smoothly. Stop looking like you're about to bounce off the walls."

I laughed sheepishly. "I guess I'm just a little nervous. We never had to do this in London. It was all just...there when I arrived."

Mom turned to me. "All the more reason you should be excited now. You're finally doing this on your own. It's a big step Troye, and you should be nothing but proud."

"Thanks, Mom."

Dad closed the trunk of the car and called from the driveway, "Alright, that was the last box. You ready to get on the road, kid?"

"I guess so."

Turning around, I gave my childhood home one last look. It had been years since I'd lived here but it still held so many memories. Coming back to it had always been home.

Then I turned again, facing away from the house. Facing my future.

Mom kissed my cheek as I opened the back door of the car. It was as if she knew what I was feeling. Smiling at her, I climbed in and we got on the road.