Chapter One

"Are you sure about this?"

"No, but I can't put it off any longer."

"You know we can change that. A meeting with the Board of Directors will have you re-contracted within hours."

"I need to do this."

My boss, Charles Worth, stood in the doorway to my change room. "You don't have to do this, Troye."

Sighing, I turned around to face him. "If I put if off any more than I have to, I'll only be becoming the thing I said I never would."

Charles came over to me. "There's no rush for you to leave. Everyone loves having you here. You're part of the family."

"I love being here," I replied, "But my time here is over."

My heart tugged sorely in my chest at my words. I didn't want to leave England any more than I had to but delaying the process would only be delaying the inevitable.

For the past four years I'd been working in London at Gentry Model Management, the upcoming global modelling agency owned by entrepreneur, Charles Worth.

Charles had started the company when he was only a teenager. Since then, it had risen as one of the world's leading modelling agencies and had a net worth in the millions. It was truly an honour to be working for such a successful visionary.

When I'd first met him, Charles had been in the U.S to open new offices in New York and Los Angeles. Upon signing with him, he'd been surprised at my adamant insistence on working in England.

"Troye, we have positions in your city," he had said gently. "You don't have to leave your home for this job."

I'd told him, "I need to get out of here. If there's any position available in London, please let me have it. I'll work every day to prove to you that you made the right decision, please."

He must've heard the desperation in my voice because he'd looked at me sympathetically with nothing more than, "Okay. We can make that happen."

A month later I was packing it up and flying transatlantic to live in a new city, in a new apartment, with a new job.

My family had been reluctant to see me go. My older sister, Aria, hadn't been as devastated as her own job required her to travel a lot. My parents on the other hand had been a wreck.

"You don't have to go," Mom had cried sadly, holding me in her arms as we said goodbye at the airport. "We can move to a new town, a new state, whatever you need. Just don't move all the way across the ocean."

"Mom," I'd said softly as I gently pried her hands off me. "I need to do this. I promise, as soon as I do what I need to do I'll be back."

That had been a partial lie, for I wasn't sure if I'd even wanted to return at all. Part of me was dying never to come back here but I knew it wouldn't be that simple.