Chapter Eleven

Despite taking a shower, completing a full skincare routine, and brushing my hair, I still looked dreadful as I made my way downstairs that morning

I'd barely slept for two hours last night. It was just my luck that my first appointment today wasn't until one o'clock so I had some time to straighten myself out. 

The coffee pot had finished brewing by the time I entered the kitchen. I made a direct beeline for it and poured a large mug, only adding a dash of milk so the caffeine could take its full effect. Flipping the TV on for some background noise, I began to sort through the mail piling up on the counter.

The morning news segment had just ended as I tossed the last bill aside. The envelope collided with something else and sent it sliding across the counter. I reached over to pick up the small object and immediately wished I hadn't. 

Jack Chase. Talent Scout. Elite Model Management. 

I dropped the business card like it had burned me. It had been sitting beneath the fruit bowl for three weeks since the night of the Gala. I'd intended to throw it out that night, but for some reason left it on the counter instead where it became concealed by a pile of mail. 

My fingers itched to walk over to the trash can and throw it out. I wanted to so badly. Nothing good would come from torturing myself by keeping it, but my body didn't move. 

I set my mug down and ran a hand through my hair. My phone buzzed in the pocket of my jeans and I pulled it out to find a message from Kendall. 

Since the night of the Gala, I'd barely seen the French model. He and I had both been busy with bookings and didn't have time to catch up. It didn't stop Kendall from checking in on me every day, though, as if he knew how affected by this I was. 

How are you doing?

Honestly, I don't know.

Lunch today? We don't have to talk about it.

I'd love to but I've got fittings all afternoon. Tomorrow?

Unfortunately, I am completely booked. What about next week?

Sounds good.

I sighed and tossed my phone aside, my gaze once again returning to the business card resting on my counter. I stared at it for a solid minute before snatching it up, marching across the kitchen, and opening the lid of the trash.

"Do it." I pushed myself. "There's no reason not to."

My hand trembled but didn't release the card. 

"He hurt you," I reminded myself. "You have nothing to say to him. You don't owe him anything."

And still, my hand didn't release its grip. 

After another exhausting minute of this, I stalked back to the counter and threw down the card. I'd try again later. Maybe then I would be in the right state of mind.