Chapter One

Pietro POV

"Really? You lost her already?"

I laughed at my sister's comment about Tony's now ex-girlfriend. Tony shot a glare at me as he spoke.

"She just wasn't for me," he said, shrugging and leaning back in his chair.

Natasha rolled her eyes.

"You had her for two weeks," Clint said.

"What about Pietro? His last girlfriend lasted for one!" Tony retorted.

I rolled my eyes.

"At least I can keep a girlfriend longer," Tony muttered.

"You know what-"

Wanda grabbed my shoulders as I prepared to lunge across the table at Tony.

"Woah, chill out," Sam said, leaning forward and resting his elbows on the table.

"Yeah, guys, we have an easy way to settle this," Bucky said, copying Sam's stance.

Steve sighed and shook his head. He knew what was going to happen. I had an inkling of an idea.

You see, Sam and Bucky always had bets going on. Whether it was about people getting together, or who could get to class first, there was always a bet.

"How about we make a bet?" Sam suggested.

Right on, I thought.

"What about?" I asked.

"Well, whoever can keep a girlfriend longest? Twenty bucks and bragging rights as the reward," Bucky said.

I looked at Tony and he looked at me. I could probably keep a girlfriend longer than him, so I nodded.

"I'm in," I said, leaning back and threading my fingers behind my head.

"Okay, cocky boy, I'm in too," Tony said, holding out his hand.

I shook it and the bet begun.

~ 6 Days Later ~

I was kicking myself for participating in the bet. Tony had already gotten himself a girlfriend, and I hadn't even seen a girl I would want.

If I was stuck with her for a while, she would need to be smart, nice, and funny. I didn't want to be stuck with someone boring.

The bell rang and I sighed. I walked towards class, not caring if I was late or not. I started thinking about girls when I bumped into someone. They let out a little 'oof' and dropped their books.

"I am so sorry," they said, crouching to pick up their books.

I crouched down to help and looked at the mysterious person.

It was a girl. A beautiful girl if I was being honest. She had h/l h/c hair and s/c skin. She looked into my eyes. Hers were a stunning shade of e/c and they almost seemed to sparkle.

"I'm really sorry, I was looking at the map and wasn't paying attention to where I was going," she said.

"No, no, it's okay. I wasn't really paying attention either."

I had never seen this girl before. Was she new? Or was she someone else that I just hadn't noticed before?

"I'm y/n," she said.

"I'm Pietro," I replied. "Are you new?"

Y/n sighed and nodded.

"New and lost," she said. "This is my first day."

"Can I see your classes? I could help you find them," I suggested.

"Yes, please," she said, relieved.

I looked at the sheet of paper she handed me. Surprisingly, we had first and third period together today.

"We have first and third together," I said. "My friend is in your art class in second, so I'll make sure he takes care of you, okay?"

She sighed happily.

"That would be great, thank you," y/n said.

I gestured her to follow me to our first class. We walked down the hall in silence.

"So, what school did you go to before this one?" I asked.

"I went to Midtown Tech," she replied.

"Well, welcome to Avengers High," I said as we reached the classroom.

I opened the classroom door to see Mr. Lee talking to the class.

"You're late," he said.

"Yeah, I was helping y/n find her way around the school," I said.

Mr. Lee looked from me to y/n.

"So, you're the new kid?" he asked y/n.

Y/n nodded shyly.

"Welcome to junior English, class B, enjoy your stay," he said, motioning her to take a seat.

I gestured for her to follow me to the back of the classroom. I saw Natasha and sat next to her. Y/n trailed after me and sat in the chair beside me.

"Who's this?" Natasha asked.

"This is y/n, she's new," I said. "Y/n, this is Natasha."

"Hi," y/n said, giving a small wave.

"Hey," Natasha said in a bored tone.

I elbowed her and she smacked me.

"What was that for?" I asked, rubbing the back of my head.

"Why'd you elbow me?" she snapped back.

"You didn't sound very nice," I mumbled.

I flinched back as she lifted her hand again. She then turned to y/n and smiled.

"Sorry if I sounded rude, I'm just bored," she said.

Y/n smiled.

"It's okay," she replied.

Mr. Lee called for the class to quiet down. He began explaining what we were doing in the lesson.

"Now, raise your hand if you read One of Us Is Lying by Karen McManus," Mr Lee instructed.

Y/n and Natasha raised their hands, along with a few other students. I didn't raise my hand.

"Well, lucky for you, select students, you're ahead," Mr. Lee said. "As for the rest of you, you need to read the book between now and next Friday."

There was an eruption of outrage, coming from the rest of the class as well as me.

"I told you kids that getting a head start on reading would help you," Mr. Lee shrugged.

I scoffed and slumped back into my chair.

"You can have this lesson to read, but this is the only one," Mr. Lee said. "Those of you who have finished can either read it again or talk quietly."

I grumpily unzipped my bag and pulled out my copy.

"So, did you like it?" Natasha asked y/n.

"Oh yeah, it was great! The bit where..."

She trailed off, glancing at me. She bit her lip.

"Sorry, I don't want to spoil it," she said.

I waved a hand.

"I'm going to find out the ending anyway-"

I was cut off as Natasha moved her chair to sit next to y/n. I chuckled as they began discussing the book. At least one of my friends liked her. They way she spoke showed me that she was intelligent, but I wasn't sure how intelligent.

You just met her, stop thinking of her as a way to win the bet, I thought.

But when had I cared about something like that before?