33| Imploding

Alyssa
_______________

There's a second after I open my eyes when I forget where I am. I turn on my side, able to make out the shape of Max's shoulder through the dark. His eyes are closed, his hand tucked tightly beneath his jaw and the pillow. I so badly want to touch him, but I'm scared that I'll wake him.

Despite the drama yesterday, I feel better than I have in weeks. I don't have to pretend to like Justin anymore, I don't have to tiptoe around my parents. And more importantly, I don't have to lie to Max.

The clock on the bedside table reads seven. I'm not tired anymore, and I should really be getting home if I want to be ready in time for school, but I can't bring myself to move. If I had my way, I'd stay locked up in this room forever.

I smile to myself. A few months ago, the thought of being in this gym, let alone in a small, cramped bed with questionable sheets, would have horrified me. I realize now that the place doesn't matter, it's the people you're there with.

I'm about to try to get a few more minutes of sleep when Max pulls me closer, nuzzling my neck with nose. "Hey," he says.

I smile and nuzzle him back. "Hey." He lifts his head, and I notice how tired he looks. "Did you sleep okay?"

A second or two passes before a boyish grin slowly crosses his lips. "No. Don't take this the wrong way, Alyssa, but you snore really bad."

My eyes widen. Granted, I haven't had that many sleepovers with Justin, but he's never once told me I snore. "No, I don't." 

"Yeah," Max says, "you do."  

I take a moment to process this news. "Do you mean a cute, endearing kind of snore or an overweight sixty-year-old man kind of snore?"

He laughs and says, "The last one. Definitely the last one."

I'm about to hide my face in shame, but he grabs my head to stop me. "You drool, too," he says with a kiss to my jaw. 

My mouth falls open. "Okay, now you're just lying."

He laughs and continues to kiss me until I forget my embarrassment. I stroke his back, and we spend the next ten minutes just lying here like nothing else matters. 

Maybe it doesn't. 

***

The minute I get to school, Tiana notices I can't stop smiling and wants to know why. I've decided to be honest–at least about some things–and tell her I've been training at the gym. She's not quite ready to know about Max, but I can't keep pushing her away. Out of everyone I know, she's the one person I do trust, so why am I treating her like I don't?

"The gym that girl talked about?" Tee asks.

"Maddie, and yeah. She's been helping me train."

"To box?"

"Yes," I say, putting away my things. "To box."

Tiana is silent, and I can practically see the cogs in her mind turning. "But why? Wait–" she pauses to look at me, horrified, "–is it because of what I said about you being the last person to step in a gym? I was just kidding, Liss."

"It's not because of that," I say. "Well, maybe it was at first, but I like training. It's, I don't know, calming, I guess."

Tiana sighs. "As long as you're being careful. I don't want you to get hurt."

"I won't," I say, before adding, "hopefully."

Tiana gives me a look, but before she can say anything, Marnie and some of the girls from gymnastics creep up behind her.