Chapter 2: You are not alone

Tori had gone looking for Yuma, when her best friend had not joined the group for their last period of the day, which was duel period. It was a period in which all the students had no lessons so they could practise their duelling skills on each other. It was the period that followed their lunch break, and today ran until the end of school.

"I just hope he hasn't ditched us for the Barians, again." Tori said to herself, "I mean Rio and Shark aren't too bad, but Vector is nothing but trouble and Alito is way too familiar. He gives me the creeps." It was then she spotted Yuma standing casually against a set of lockers, next to one which was open and obscuring its owner. Yuma's face looked indifferent, which had been the norm for the past year, since Yuma had started leaving his room again. Then the locker door shut, and Tori recognised the violet hair of Shark. Tori didn't know why this upset her so much, as she marched up to them, her green hair flowing in her wake.

"Ouch, Tori, what was that for?" Yuma asked rubbing his arm, which Tori had hit with more strength than she had meant to.

"Were you ditching us again, Yuma?" Tori asked, again with more hostility then she had meant, staring at Shark accusingly. He just looked indifferently at her and crossed his arms over his chest, his purple jacket held in his right hand.

"No, I just ran into Shark and we got talking." Yuma answered, skating over some of the details, "I was just on my way. In fact Shark was coming too, he wants a break from Ray." Tori knew that Yuma wasn't telling her something, so she looked at him in the eyes and noticed they were slightly bloodshot and his hair was a little wet, as if he had recently washed his face.

"Yuma, have you been crying?" Tori asked. Yuma glanced at Shark a little taken a back. Was it that obvious?

"No." Yuma lied. Shark felt a little amused, but didn't show it. It seemed Yuma didn't like to admit to his friends that he could cry.

"I can tell Yuma," Tori said, "your eyes are bloodshot. Please don't let your manly pride get in the way. I won't think any less of you."

"If its that obvious," Yuma said defensively crossing his arms, "then why ask?"

"Because I care." Tori said. Shark shifted uncomfortably. He didn't want to see two of his friends fighting with each other. "Why have you been crying?" She asked.

"I miss Astral, and its just really hard, today of all days." Yuma answered defeated. "Sorry I snapped Tori. I shouldn't have."

"Do you want to talk about it?" Tori asked.

"Not right now," Yuma said, "I got most of it off of my chest for now, thanks to Shark. He found me in the music room and got it out of me. I think I really needed it." Shark smiled bashfully.

"The least I could do." Shark said, "But you didn't answer my question. Do you think you'd be able to help the Barians and I with the music for our drama project? Since most of us are clueless when it comes to music, and none of us want to leave it to Vector."

"I will help." Yuma agreed, "But if its original music you need, I'll have to pre-record it, since the school has asked me to prepare a musical performance for that day as well." Tori thought she saw a light appear in Yuma's eyes that hadn't been there in so long.

"Thanks, I'm sure the others will appreciate it too." Shark smiled, as the trio turned to walk to the duelling ground. Tori was upset by how easily Shark seemed to be able to break through Yuma's barriers. She would even go as far as to say she was jealous, since she, out of all of Yuma's friends, had known him the longest.

"Hey, Tori," Yuma said noticing the distant look in her big, bright eyes, "you alright?"

"Yeah, I'm fine. I just wish I knew how to get you to open up," Tori said, shocking both boys as they began walking over to Bronk and Kathy who were duelling while being watched by Flip and Caswell, "I just don't seem to be able to anymore. I suppose what I'm saying is you are not alone, Yuma, and Shark isn't the only one you can talk to. You can talk to any one of us. I mean we all still worry about you."