Chapter 13: Secrets and Lies

Yuma found himself in the featureless void of his nightmare again. The light was still blinding and cold. The darkness was still warm and inviting. The ground was hard and cracked. But this time when the light began to engulf the environment around Yuma, Utopia appeared between Yuma and the light. His ace monster was protecting him.

"Thanks Utopia." Yuma said as he ran to the shadow, feeling like it was waiting to tell him something. That made Yuma's mind up, there could be no doubt his dreams were trying to tell him something, and new information was unlocking it.

Yuma stood before the darkness and was instantly encircled by seven silhouettes. He recognised the outlines of the seven full Barians. The figure that was in the dark anomaly had an outline similar to his. It just seemed more confidant, since he stood straighter. Yuma knew this shadow must be how his mind represented his unknown Barian form. This shadow was Phantom.

"At last we meet." the shadow spoke. "But you had to find out the truth before we could. That light was keeping us apart due to your ignorance."

"Sorry." Yuma said trying not to be insulted.

"Fine, but we don't have much time." Phantom spoke. "Since you found out the wheels of fate are moving. They can't be stopped. There will come a time when things will become completely clear for you. When that time comes you will show our true form and with the other Barians decide the destiny of three worlds. Until that time, you will be in great danger. Remember your past for the answers you need. And keep in mind that there is one that will stand in your way if he finds out too soon."

"Astral." Yuma whispered, looking behind him, seeing the light defeat Utopia. Phantom nodded.

"Hide in plain sight." Phantom instructed, "For both of our sakes, since only you can free us both of this fragile state." Then the light engulfed everything and Yuma was falling though the cracks again.

Yuma woke with a start and threw a glance at the Astral Key that laid on his desk. He wasn't going to tell Astral. But he knew he had to let the other Barians know. But how could he do that, when he had to wear the Astral key? Then he noticed his Duel gazer on the night stand, next to the alarm clock that was telling him it was September 3rd, and the first day of his 3rd year at Heartland academy. He decided to text Shark about his dream. Astral wouldn't find out this way.

Then Yuma was struck by how fast August had past by. Yuma of course spent most of his holiday with Shark, but he had spent time alone with his friends. To protect his secret, Yuma wore the Astral key without complaint, but hated it when Astral had slipped back into his pattern of coming out of the key to help him duel. It was after a particularly close duel with Kite, that Astral had finally voiced his frustration.

"If you had listened to me you could have won a turn sooner." Astral had said to Yuma.

Remember that trap card?" Yuma had asked, Astral had nodded, "Would you're strategy have with stood it?"

"No." Astral had pouted.

"I guessed right and planned around it and won." Yuma had explained smirking.

"Face it Astral," Shark had said planting a brief kiss on Yuma's cheek, "You can't beat Kite, but Yuma can. He's become a better duellist than you want to give him credit for."

After that, Astral had remained in the key for a whole week.

Yuma smirked at the memory as he got ready for school, the light filtering weakly through a gap in his curtains. Thoughts still on his dream. He was clear on what he had to do. But how was he going to remember? The other Barians either remembered because the Mythryian ruins or by the over 100 numbers being defeated by each Barian with their Mythryian number. That didn't seem likely for Yuma.