A Fear Response

There is no terror in the bang, only in the anticipation of it.-Alfred Hitchcock

I avoided Dallas when I could. I couldn't bring myself to quit dealing and I couldn't bring myself to tell him. So, I stayed by Sodapop's side and hid from him. I liked Sodapop, I really did. He was everything I never could be. He was good. He was happiness. He was sunlight on a cold morning that warms your skin. I swear, if somehow you could capture all the good in the world and put it into human form you would get Sodapop Curtis. And that was the exact reason I could never be anything more than just friends with him. 

"What are you thinking about?" Mark asked, putting a baggy in my hand.

I had a deal to do. Mark warned me to be careful, these boys were dangerous. I don't know why he let me go alone. I thought it was foolish at the time and I wish I would have thought longer about it. 

"Nothing." I shook my head and closed my palm around the poison.

"You'll be careful?" Mark turned away from me.

"Careful is my middle name." I joked, but without humor in my voice.

"Actually, it's Anne." Mark grinned and tossed me cigarette.

I headed out the door and hopped into some car Mark had hot wired. He didn't have his license or nothing, but he was a good enough driver anyways. The boys were waiting for me in some diner I had never been to before. I was glad we were in a public place. People behave better that way. They looked surprised to see me when I sat down by them.

"You're not Mark." The one boy said bluntly.

He wasn't a soc, but he wasn't a greaser either. He was tougher than the gang, somehow even more rough around the edges. I wasn't quite sure what he was. He had green eyes and reddish brown hair that was cut to a medium length, but it wasn't pushed back with grease. The other two had blonde hair and I could tell they were related somehow.

"How observant of you." I rolled my eyes at him as he only glared back. "Money first."

The boy with a smile like gremlin shook his head, "Dope first. Money second."

I knew he wasn't going to give up his money, but if I just gave it to him I would have ran the risk of being cheated. I didn't know what to do.

"No money, no deal." I held my ground. 

The boy leaned in and gave me a toothy smile, "Look darling, I ain't about to hand you this money without a bag full of dope in my hand. So, I think you and me both know what you have to do."

I was trying to think about Mark would have done in that situation and I knew I couldn't give them it. You have to be tough to be in that kind of business. You can't just let people step all over you.

"When you're ready to give me the money, I'll be ready to talk. Until then, get your drugs from someone else." I spit and stood up to stand.

"You're going to regret walking out like this." The boy shouted as I started to run out.

I was running because I knew he was right. There was something in the way he was looking at me. He wasn't going to let me get away with that. He was going to come for me and there was a price I was going to have to pay.