Epilogue

I could tell you that from that day, things with Dallas worked out perfectly. But life has a funny way of changing things. We ended up together, just like I said we would. We live in Houston now. We moved right after I graduated. Tulsa just wasn't the place I called home anymore.

Johnny was killed Bob only a few months after I got back into town, and then in turn Johnny died as well. He saved some kids from a burning church with Ponyboy, but I guess he didn't think about saving himself. I didn't go to the funeral. Dallas was furious at me for it, but I couldn't go to the funeral of the same kid who killed Bob. Maybe Bob had it coming to him, I'm sure he did, but he was my best friend for a while there.

Jane is 9 now, and she's more like Dallas than ever. We see her on the weekends, and I reckon she's the closest we'll ever get to having kids. Neither of us wanted to bring kids into such a harsh and cruel world. We had experienced it ourselves.

Everyone in the gang turned out alright. Two-Bit spent some time in prison for a car jacking, but for the most part everyone stayed out of trouble. The gang fell apart, as these things do. At a certain point, people have to grow up.

Things ain't perfect, but I never expected them to be. That's the thing I really learned out of all of this. Fairy tales ain't real, they just ain't. But, that doesn't mean happy endings don't. Maybe not full happy endings like there are in the movies, but better ones. One's that are a little sad, but a little happy too. They just mix right together, and I think that without the sadness, I'd never really be able to appreciate the happiness.

So in the end, things turned out as good as I could expect them to. Hell, maybe even better. I realized a couple years in it didn't matter what happened to me. As long as Dallas was with me, I could survive it.

The End.

AU: AHH! All done. Thanks so much for reading, guys. I don't think I'll write another Outsiders story, at least for now, but I am going to publish another story called With Friends Like These. It's not Outsiders, but has some things in common with it. It would be dope if you guys would check it out.  Thanks for all the feedback on this story. Love, love, love.