Here Comes The Flood

I prefer to think I'm a liar that's uniquely my own.-Cassandra Clare, City of Ashes

I was sitting on the Curtis's couch when Dallas started knocking on the windows. I learned not to pay attention to this since he did it every time. When he opened the door he was looking a bit on edge and at first I thought he had gotten himself in trouble.

"Hey Ice, can I talk to you?" He was fidgeting with the zipper on his worn leather jacket.

"Sure." I hopped up, not sure what to expect.

I hadn't talked to him in a while, seeing that I had been avoiding him and all. I followed him out onto the wooden porch. He leaned against the rickety pole that seemed to be holding the whole house up. He looked awfully handsome in that light, the gentle sunlight brushing over his face.

"Are you mad at me or somethin'?" He lit a cigarette, not making eye contact

He smoked more than anybody I knew.

"No." I shook my head, "I've just been busy and all."

It was the only lie I could think of on my feet. I don't know why he bought it. It wasn't thought out, but he must have believed me because a small smile came out on his face.

"Well, in that case do you want to hit a party with me later? It's at Buck's."

I was torn in half. I knew I shouldn't be spending time with him but, I couldn't help myself. I missed hanging out with him. The rest of the gang was fun, but they were tiring too. It was hard trying to keep up with them all the time.

"Sure." I tried my best to act casual.

"Well the thing is, it's right now." He grinned sheepishly at me and tilted his head.

I looked down. I wasn't exactly in party attire.

He must have seen me look down or something because he spoke up, "Don't worry about that. Just come with me."

I agreed and said bye to Sodapop who I swear glared at me before I left. It wasn't hard to figure out that he wasn't too happy that I was leaving him for Dallas. Dallas told me he had grabbed some car out of the empty lot and hot-wired it. I wasn't surprised. Just about everyone it seemed like knew how to do it, except me. The car was sleek. I don't know much about cars, but I knew this was a nice one. It was cherry red with one ebony stripe down the center. It gleamed underneath the glow of the flickering lamp post. 

I found out that night that Dallas should never be in control of a vehicle. We were flying down the streets and swerving around corners like there was no tomorrow. By the time we got there I was feeling a little green around the gills.

"You'll stick close to me, alright?" Dallas whispered in my ear as we walked towards the house.

It was then I realized how innocent he saw me. He saw me as a young kid who ran away from home who hadn't experienced a thing about life yet. How wrong he was. I just nodded back. Buck's house was crowded and smelled like booze and sweat. It wasn't exactly the most sanitary place, but I'm not one to turn down a party.

"Hey Dally!" Buck shouted at us and widened his dark eyes when he saw me, "Your name's Ice, right? You came here lookin' for Mark a couple weeks back."

"That's me." I grinned at him.

"I guess you and this bum here are friends now." He gave Dallas a toothy smile.

"I like to keep her around." Dallas shrugged, but tightened his grip on my shoulder when Buck took another step towards us. "We're going to go find Curly. I'll see you around."

He started walking before I had a chance to say no. He stopped at the overcrowded bar and grabbed us both a drink, but he didn't take a sip of his and he didn't for the entirety of the night. 

"Who's Curly?" The name sounded vaguely familiar to me, but I couldn't place it.

"He's part of the Shepherd gang. He's a little rough around the edges, but he's alright." Dallas shrugged, setting his drink down on the counter. "He's one of my buddy's kid brother."

I realized I had heard Darry complaining about him. He thought Curly was bad company to keep around Ponboy. I wanted to know what the fuss was about.

"Can I meet him?" I asked, looking around for someone that could have possibly been him.

"Sure, doll." Dallas looked and then locked eyes with a boy.

When I saw who it was, my stomach dropped. I recognized the familiar reddish hair. I had been on the look out for it for the past couple days. It was the boy who I was supposed to do the drug deal with. I knew he had been looking for me. Dallas called his name over before I had the chance to make up a lie. As soon as the boy raised his head, he saw me. He knew who I was, and he had anger in his eyes. His memory hadn't failed him. He had remembered that I refused to deal to him and he was walking straight towards us.