Finding Family

This is just a short filler chapter but there probably won't be too much of a wait for more chapters. I have almost finished rereading the second book. I wasn't expecting to post a new chapter so soon but I'm currently quarantining in my room. I probably just have a cold but I live in a house with four other people, two of them are at high risk for Coronavirus so until I get my test results back I'm going to have a lot of free time on my hands.

The drive that should have taken four hours was cut down to three, including the time we stopped for lunch, thanks entirely to Raven's unique driving skills. Much to my relief there had been no further contact from Blake although guilt over my decision to not tell Corey or Raven about it was still eating me up inside.

We pulled into a parking lot of a discount department store in order to pick up some supplies for the job. As we were walking back to the electronics section of the store we happened to walk past a rack of swimsuits on sale. Corey gently nudged me with his elbow, "Why don't you pick out a swimsuit? We might have time to stop at the beach or something before heading back."

I shook my head, I had no money and there was no way I was going to let them buy more stuff for me. "That's sweet of you, but I don't need a swimsuit."

Corey looked like he wanted to argue the point, but to my surprise, Raven agreed with me. "No don't let her buy a swimsuit here. If she's going to buy clothes, she should get them from somewhere nicer, like a Macy's or what's that other store..." he trailed off, snapping his fingers obviously trying to remember. He turned to Corey, "What's that other store called? You know the pink girly store. The one with the underwear."

Corey looked momentarily confused before answering, "Victoria's Secret."

"Yeah, that's right. She needs to go to Victory's Sequence. Don't waste your money here."

"It's Victoria's Secret," Corey corrected as we started moving again.

"That's what I said."

"I've never been inside a Victoria's Secret," I spoke without thinking. Victoria's Secret was way outside my price range.

"Then we shall have to change that, won't we, маленький котенок?"

He put so much heat into those last two words that it made me feel flustered. Besides, it wasn't just money that kept me from ever going into a Victoria's Secret store. I had seen the outside of their stores and the intensity of my blush were I to ever actually go in one might just burn me up from the inside out.

"No...I didn't mean it like that...I don't want...I don't need..." I stuttered out, a blush forming on my cheeks.

Corey put a comforting and commiserating arm around my shoulder, "It's too late now, once Raven has made up his mind there is no changing it."

Raven smirked at that, "You should come too Corey, it will be fun."

I glanced over at Corey and saw a blush to match my own form on his cheeks and I had to smile at that. His height meant it was impossible for me to loop an arm over his shoulder as he had done with me, so I settled on wrapping an arm around his waist.

Feeling both pleased with and embarrassed by my daring, I winked at him, "Looks like we're both doomed."

We were out of the store fifteen minutes later having picked up a number of disposable cell phones and some miscellaneous electronic parts that I didn't recognize.

This time Corey got behind the wheel, while Raven sorted through their purchases in the back seat, having refused when I offered him the front seat instead.

I had no idea how any of what they had gotten would help them get Mrs. Gunther her money back. In fact, I had no idea how they intended to get Mrs. Gunther her money back, so curious and hoping I wasn't overstepping my bounds I asked.

"We have to convince her we can help and that she can trust us," Corey answered, pulling out of the parking lot.

"So she doesn't know we're coming?"I was surprised at this, I had simply assumed that she must know someone was coming to help her.

"No, her grandson Harry got notice of a huge withdrawal from his grandmother's bank account and when he asked her about it she told him how she lost it in a Ponzi scheme but insisted it was her own fault for being foolish and that she didn't need help."

I frowned a little at that, "Why would her grandson have access to her bank accounts?"

"I know what you're thinking, but it isn't like that," Corey took one hand off the wheel and took my hand. My smaller hand was easily enveloped by his long fingers and he squeezed gently and reassuringly. "Mrs. Gunther is retired and lives by herself. Her kids have all moved away and Harry is worried about her. He's got things set up to keep an eye on her."

He glanced over at me and must have read my growing discomfort and the idea, "It's not as invasive as it sounds. Take this business with her bank account. Banks all have advanced security systems that are designed to protect your accounts. For example, if you live in Charleston but suddenly your debit card shows that you purchased several thousand dollars' worth of hair extensions in Russia, the bank is probably going to send out an unusual activity notice. They may even call to ask about your purchase."

"Right but they would send the notice to you, not one of your relatives," I wasn't trying to be argumentative; I was genuinely trying to understand.

Cory rubbed his thumb soothingly over the back of my hand, silently reassuring me that he didn't mind me asking questions. "What's the difference between a stranger at the bank asking you about your account and a family member you trust?"

I looked down at my lap, deep in thought. I had no idea what the difference was, maybe because it had been so many years since I had anyone in my family that I could trust. Actually the more I thought about it the more I realized that there never had been anyone like that. Even before he left, Father was gone for work more often than he was home, Marie was always quick to use anything I told her against me and even before Mother got sick she was never the most warm or nurturing of people.

"I don't know what the difference is," I said quietly and almost jumped out of my skin when a large, warm hand clasped my shoulder.

"That's because you have never had a family you could trust маленький котенок. But don't worry about it, you have us now. We will teach you what it means to be a family."

A single tear rolled down my cheek as I basked in the warmth and love I felt from both Raven and Corey's touch.

Is there going to be a trip to Victoria's Secret in Corey, Sang, and Raven's future? Probably.

Thanks again to everyone who has read, commented, and voted.