Misery

Trigger warning: This chapter contains abuse.

As I ducked between parked cars I thought about my options. A quick glance at my watch showed me it was ten till five. There is a bus stop right in front of the mall; if I use that I might only be a half hour late for curfew. The rational part of me was telling me that there was no way mall security would follow me home but I couldn't shake the feeling that these guys weren't just mall security.

I was still internally debating whether it would be better to be careful and get punished for being late and for not having all of this week rent or go straight home, (hoping she wouldn't notice I was a half hour late), and risk one of those men coming to the door to inquire about me. However, my feet appeared to make the decision never slowing as I passed the bus stop.

I took random twists and turns heading away from home. Finally, I reached another bus stop feeling confident that there was no one following me. The bus dropped me off next to Bob's Diner and I headed straight for the woods. I jogged a little way into the woods; I needed to be away from prying eyes for a moment. As soon as I felt my privacy was assured I lost my composure. I have no idea why it was always like this for me, I never get nervous until after the fact. In elementary school anytime I had to give a speech to my class I would be fine beforehand but would be a quivering nervous wreck once I was finished.

I curled up on the floor of the forest my entire body shaking like a leaf. I wouldn't be able to go back to that mall again, that meant I would have to find a new place to look for targets. I needed to find somewhere new and quick. If I ever was short on rent for the week Mother would, on top of any physical punishment she chose to dole out, double my rent for the next week. I had a hard enough time coming up with the $300 a week she normally demanded. On the plus side, I was positive no one had followed me home so I didn't have to worry about Mother finding out.

When at last my trembling had stopped I stood and brushed myself off. I looked at my watch and saw it was almost 6:30. Gathering my courage I walked purposefully to the back of the house. I opened the door as quietly as I could and tiptoed inside. I knew it was wrong of me to wish this but if I was lucky Mother would be passed out from her medication and would never know I was late.

My hopes were dashed as soon as I stepped inside. Mother was sitting at the kitchen table waiting for me "Where were you?" Her voice was harsh and demanding.

"I'm sorry Mother, I missed the bus," I said meekly.

"Why must you always lie to me? You were out whoring yourself again, weren't you? I don't know why I bother. I tried and tried to raise you right, to teach you right from wrong but you never listen. I bet all of Charleston knows what a whore you are, you're dragging this family's name through the mud." Pausing for a moment to catch her breath she glared at me, "Go and get the rent you owe me. I need to think up a suitable punishment for you?"

I raced upstairs not even trying to defend myself from her accusations. I quickly gather my money from where I hid it around the room, I count it one last time but I am not surprised that I only have $220. I run back downstairs and hand her the money. She eagerly snatched the money and began to count it. Her pudgy fingers flipped through the bills and her mouth moved as she counted. "Where is the rest of the money you owe me?"

I keep my eyes trained on the floor, "I'm sorry, I'm a little short this week. Please give me until tomorrow; I swear I'll have the money for you then."

She just shook her head at me, "Not only are you shaming this family by whoring yourself out you aren't even very good at it." She wandered over to one of the cupboards as she talked and pulled out a bag of rice. She took a very large handful of rice and spread it around. Her actions came as no surprise to me, kneeling on a hard floor for hours was a punishment she started when I was eight; she added rice to the mix when I turned 13.