Macaroni and Exposition

Hey everyone, I know I said this chapter was going to cover up until the start of the party but I decided to publish what I currently have rather than make you wait any longer for the next chapter. Just a reminder some parts of this chapter are taken directly from C.L. Stone and I am not trying to claim it as my own.

Also, I'm sick at the moment and didn't have the energy to carefully edit this chapter so feel free to let me know if you see any mistakes.

At the sound of Brandon's voice, I quickly pulled my shirt back down to cover my stomach. Feeling embarrassed I glanced over at the two new arrivals. I watched as the looks of confusion on Marc and Brandon's faces morphed into ones of anger as their eyes fixed on my bruised legs.

I quickly looked away, the anger evident in their expressions making me nervous. The feel of someone gently squeezing my hand had me looking up. My eyes met with Corey's blue ones and he gave me a reassuring smile that warmed my heart.

"Why don't you two unload your purchases in the kitchen?" Axel's firm and commanding voice left no room for argument and after a moment I heard two sets of footsteps make their way into the kitchen.

Corey gave my hand one final squeeze before telling us that he would go help them and disappeared into the kitchen as well. The look he exchanged with Axel before he left seemed to convey a lot of meaning although I was unable to read any of it.

"If it's alright with you, could you lift your shirt for me again?" Axel's voice was soft and lacked the note of command it had had when he was talking to Marc and Brandon. I looked into his dark eyes and saw only sincerity and a desire to help. Feeling uncomfortably aware of both Axel and Raven's gazes on me I slowly lifted my shirt once more to reveal my bruised stomach.

They were both silent and I was just about to cover myself again when Axel spoke up. "I need to feel the area for swelling. I'll try to be gentle but it may hurt a bit. Are you okay with this?"

The fact that he was actually taking what I wanted into consideration meant a lot to me and I nodded. His hand felt cool against my skin and I could tell he was trying to be gentle. The tips of his fingers skimmed over my stomach occasionally pausing in an area where Axel would apply more pressure. The pressure hurt but it wasn't unbearable and I endured it in stoic silence.

Axel's exam took only a couple of minutes, "Okay everything feels normal, I want to apply more arnica cream to the area, if that all right by you."

I briefly considered telling him that I could apply the cream, not wanting to be any more of a nuisance than I already was but the truth was his hands had felt nice when he was putting the cream on my legs and I wanted to feel that again so I nodded.

I was always responsible for taking care of my own injuries, even before Mother got sick. Growing up I had watched other kids play in the park. When they would fall down and scrape their knees, their mothers would always be right there with a kind word as they dried their child's tears and patched them up. If I went to my Mother crying over a scraped elbow or a skinned knee I was told to go to my room until I got over myself. I never understood why my Mother was so different than the other kid's Mothers and then she got sick and her indifference changed to something harsher.

The feel of Axel's fingers gently rubbing the cream into my stomach brought me back from my musings. I felt my body relax into his touch. Then I felt his fingers brush the area of skin right below my belly button. I gasped involuntarily as a strange tingly sensation shot through my body and a feeling of warmth pooled in my stomach.

Axel immediately pulled back a look of guilt on his face as he asked, "Did I hurt you?"

I hurriedly shook my head and I watched as his expression morphed from one of guilt to one of confusion. His emotions rapidly shifted, his confusion being overtaken by a look of understanding and then for the fraction of a second he looked smug before all emotion on his face was shut down leaving a bland and emotionless mask.