Coaltar

So I guess I decided not to be evil. Well, I didn't so much decide not to be evil, it was more that I was struggling with how to write the guy's reaction to Sang turning up missing. Feel free to let me know of any typos I missed and I hope you enjoy the new chapter.

I slowly returned to consciousness, cozy, and swaddled in warmth. For a moment I thought perhaps it had all been a dream and I was back home but as I began to wake further the incongruities of my situation began to add up. This couldn't possibly be my bed; my bed wasn't anywhere near as comfy as the one I was currently in. If I wasn't mistaken the sheets I was wrapped in were silk.

I stared blankly at the ceiling for a moment, baffled by the sight of the carved woodwork along the edge. I slowly sat up, my body stiff and sore, protesting my every move. My throat, which had previously been feeling much better, felt like it was on fire. I blinked and took in more details; the bed was covered in silky white sheets and a plush red blanket. The bed had a headboard of rich dark wood.

I swung my legs over the edge of the bed and my now bare feet were met with a thick, plush, black rug. The floor beyond was a smooth rich redwood.

None of my surroundings looked remotely familiar; I had no idea where I was. It came as a relief that I was wearing the same shorts and shirt I had been earlier in the day. The sight of the large tear in the side reminded me of the events in the alley and my heart pounded in fear at the memory of it.

My panicked breathing nearly sent me into a fit of coughing, and I forced myself to calm down. I needed to focus; I couldn't afford to lose myself to terror right now.

There was a plush armchair beside the bed that appeared out of place as though it had been moved closer to the bed. There was a simple grey t-shirt and a pair of shorts that appeared similar to what I was currently wearing draped over the back of the chair.

Assuming the clothes had been left for me, I tentatively picked them up. They were clearly high quality, far nicer than anything I had ever worn before.

I held my breath, listening, but was unable to hear anything.

Moving stealthily, I set the clothes back on the chair and moved across the room and to the window. I carefully studied the street in an attempt to find any clues as to where I was.

I spotted a very familiar bench that was within eyesight, just down the road. My gaze then shifted to White Point Gardens behind it. I tried to calculate the distance and I had a sinking suspicion that I knew exactly where I was.

Maybe I could sneak out of here without Coaltar noticing. I looked around for shoes, I wouldn't wear them in the house but I would need them once I left, however, there weren't any in the room.

Giving that up as a lost cause, I padded to the door. It was open a crack, and I paused and listened carefully before nudging it open a couple of inches more and slipping through the gap.

The hallway was narrow and there were a lot of doors, all of which were closed. I spotted a stairwell at the end of the hall. I tiptoed down the hall, pausing at the top of the steps to listen, only to be greeted with silence.

With great care I began to descend the stairs, however, the sound of creaking floorboards coming from somewhere behind me alerted me to the presence of another person, presumably behind one of the many closed doors.

Alarmed, I sped up, giving up on stealth entirely when I heard the creak of a door opening behind me. I sped down the stairs, found a second level, and zoomed down to the first.

I was at the back door, where the party had been, but it was locked. I took a turn, finding the hallway I remembered going through to the front door. The coast was clear, and I sped up as I hurried down the hall.