Chapter Twelve

It had been almost two months since the Christmas that Scott Calvin had officially accepted his role as Santa Claus. He had been introduced to all of the elves and had even been putting in a valiant effort to remember all their names. Things had even calmed down at the Miller household. Jess had gotten all of her things moved in and was starting to develop a routine. Even Charlie had begun calling on his dad less and less. Which is why Bernard was so surprised when Santa came into his office on Valentine's Day.

"I thought I'd find you in here." Scott looked down at the elf accusingly. "Why aren't you giving out cards with the rest of the elves?"

"I'm not much of a well-wisher." Bernard snapped. He returned to the piles of papers surrounding his desk. Everywhere he turned were packets from Elves requesting time off. Now that busy season was over everyone wanted their hard earned breaks.

"I was hoping you could do me a favor, if you're not too busy that is." The Head Elf looked up from his paperwork with interest. He'd do just about anything to take a break from the seemingly endless requests. "I have a meeting with the Easter Bunny and I was supposed to be there...five minutes ago. He wants to meet with me to discuss ways to improve gift distribution."

"You want me to meet with the Easter Bunny for you?" Bernard was surprised. None of the past Santas had ever asked him to meet with a member of the Legendary Figures Council before.

"NoHoHo, I don't want you to meet with the Easter Bunny." Scott laughed. "Charlie keeps calling for me on the snowglobe, I was hoping you could go down and talk to him for me. You know, just let him know I'll be down there as soon as I can."

"Sure Santa." The head elf pushed away from his desk and stood up."I'll check on him right now. I'll let you know if it's anything you should be worried about." Concentrating on the Miller's House in his mind, Bernard transported himself. There was a new side table in the hall and Bernard bumped into it as he appeared. Laura, who'd heard the disturbance from the living room, came to check on the noise.

"Oh, hello Bernard." She greeted the elf kindly.

"Mrs. Miller." He nodded his own greeting. "Santa sent me, he said Charlie's been calling..."

"He seemed fine when he came home from school." Laura shrugged. "But it's been a week or two since he's talked to Scott, maybe that's it."

"Maybe, do you mind if I go up and see him?"

"Be my guest." Laura invited.

Bernard climbed up the stairs expecting Charlie to be in his room. He was surprised to see the nine year old boy sitting with his ear pressed against Jessie's bedroom door.

"Charlie, what are you doing?" The elf whispered.

"Bernard!" Charlie whispered back with relief. "Jess' in her room."

"I figured as much, Sport. Why are you listening at her door?" The elf crouched down next to Charlie and leaned against the wall.

"She picked me up after school like she always does." Charlie said. "But when we got home, she locked her door. She's been crying."

"Has she been crying since you got home?" Bernard asked. Charlie nodded. "Why didn't you get your mom, she's right down stairs."

"Because, I thought maybe Jess missed Dad. Could you talk to her Bernard?" This so isn't part of my job description. The elf thought as he massaged his forehead. At the very least he could talk to Jessie, find out why she was upset and report back to Santa. After all that was why he'd come all this way. To see what Charlie needed. He should just go the extra step and see if Jessie could be helped.